icon

remote start deactivation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blindsight3 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone have any ideas about what to check for this issue....

When the car is remote started, the key is inserted, and the car is put in drive.  After puting it back in park and turning the key off, the remote start has not shut down and continues to run even though it should be deactivated when the key was turned to the on position.....   any ideas?

Also the remote start is not deactivated by pressing the brake down... could this be related to the problem?  This was not my install and ive never had these issues and  unclear where to start, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Blindsight3
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
The brake circuit is the cause. You need to use a volt meter to check the brake switch input to the remote starter. The wire should measure 12 volts when the brakes are applied. If it doesn't, check that the wire is corretly hooked up to the brake switch and that the brake switch has power to it. If the brake lamp fuse is blown then you can have this problem. The remote starter should time out after it's programmed run time is up, but this could be up to 1/2 hour or so. If the brake circuit at the remote starter checks OK, replace the remote starter module.
sparky
blindsight3 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Dually noted thanks!
Blindsight3
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with sparkie.
Also, the first thing would be to simply check if the brake lights work.
If the brake lights work, then maybe the remote starter's brake wire has come loose from its connection to the car.
On the other hand, if the car's brake lights don't work at all, start there first. Blown fuse, defective brake switch are two possiblities.
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with all the above. Its your footbrake trigger. Reason being so: You remote start the vehicle with the remote. So when the key is in the ignition and your press the foot brake to put in drive you are litteraly still auto started. LOL. There is no TAKE OVER. Easy fix. Get'ER DONE
"dont ground out!"
blindsight3 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
yea guys, all correct.  It turned out that theres a cold solder joint, so it works sometimes, and others it does not.  Problem solved.  Thanks for your help guys.
Blindsight3
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Another way to check for this kind of problem in the future without actually being in the car and driving is to: remote start the car, disarm the car, DONT insert the key BUT instead just hit the brake. By doing this, the car should shut off. This is actually alot safer than not knowing you have the problem and while you are driving, the timer times out shutting the car off while your on a high speed highway. NOT GOOD. I have had this problem once before except I didnt have the problem with the remote start deactivating. Instead, the brake light end of the splice came unhook so I just lost my brake lights.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic