is a relay what i need? 2 amps, pwr wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcwave 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

I am running 2 amps,.  a 300w and a 400w.  Individually, i can get each amp to run great.  When both hooked up, my 400w amp powering my side speakers fades in and out of power.  I traced the problem back to the pwr wire coming from my Head unit (kenwood)  When it is wired diredtly to the 400w amp, there is no issue.  When the 300w is also attached, it begins fading.      Is a relay going to solve this?  If so, can you let me know what type/size?  I have no experience with relays but am trying to do some research now.  i appreciate your help.

Thanks,

TC

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have the power wires of the amps connected to the battery?   Have you used a meter to verify that the voltage is dropping on the Blue/White wire of your radio?  This is the wire that should be connected to the remote terminal of your amps.

tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, everything works great when the blue/white wire off my radio is only connected to one amp.  Soon as I put two amps on it, the 400w starts fading out.   

I haven't tried a meter only cause I didn't have it with me at the time.   But given that keeping everything else the same except for when I move that wire, I am fairly certin its it.

As for the way I am connecting the 3 wires.  I have tried two methods.  First was to wrap to together in a spiral then put them in a red crimp, then but the 3rd wire in the other side and crimp it.   The second method was to just wrap all three wires together.  i tried to keep them long and then braid them together, then wrap them in a spiral.

i appreciate your help.

Tc

jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
i hope your not running your power of the headunit. your power should be ran directly to the battery with an inline fuse within 12" of the battery, and your remote turn on wires go to the headunit, these you can run from hu to 1 amp and daisy it over to the 2nd
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Do you have the power wires of the amps connected to the battery?  

tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

right.  my power is 4 guage from battery to a distribution block that brings it down to two 8 guages wires going to the amps.  I have a fuse 6" from my battery. 

It's my remote turn on wire from my Headunit that is causing the issue.   In the headunit manual, it's they refer to it as the "external amp control wire".   when that is directly connect to either amp, everything works and sounds good.  (except on one amp is powered up of course).   when that wire is connected to both amps, the 400w fades in and out.  The red light on the outside of the amp actually gets dimmer then flickers then comes back on, repeat.

-Tc

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
what model # hu do u have
tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Nice...Thanks "i am an idiot"....you have helped me out alot lately and I really appreciate it.   I am pumping my boat out and it's coming together well.   If you ever want to go tuna fishing in MA, just let me know. 
tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Kenwood KTS-300MR.  It's a marine radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic