icon

1997 Grand Caravan Infinity System Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ll1984 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2008 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
greetings. I am trying to install a new radio on a 1997 grand caravan with infinity sound system according to instructions from installdr.com everything works except for the door panel fron and side speakers. I understand from reading other forums and install dr instructions that the infinity amplifier on the factory installed system needs to be "activated" by connecting the infinity amp wire to the new radio ground wire, which i have done but to no avail i am still not getting any sound from these speakers. I was wondering where the location of the infinity amplifier is so that i can check if it is a blown fuse which is causing it not to get any power? or if i even need to locate the amp to check its fuse? any advice would be appreciated.
jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
so just the fron door speakers and dash r not working, and the rears are. if this is correct u r getting sound out of those. if u r did u check the wiring or even possibly the balance/fader controls?did you buy a wire harness to connect the unit/ double check your connections first
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,671
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
The factory amp needs a positive voltage to turn it on, not a ground. Did you purchase the wiring harness to install the radio? If so there is a blue wire on the harness labeled power antenna, what did you connect to that wire?
ll1984 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
no the front dash speakers are getting sound and the rear tweeters are as well, but not the front door speakers and the side door panel speakers either...
ll1984 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
well i did touch it to the blue wire and nothing when i touched the dash speakers wire to the blue wire they powered on and sound came back so thats why i'm thinking it may be something else? should i still connect it to the blue remote wire?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
The blue wire in the harness you purchased is the turn on wire for the amplifier.  It needs to be connected to the Blue/White wire of your deck.  
ll1984 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
ok i'll try that today and see what happens thank you
ll1984 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
just to be clear, the amplifier wire from the deck that i would be connecting to the blue remote amp wire from the new unit is black with a green stripe which used to connect into the back of the factory installed infinity radio so i would be connecting that green and black wire to the new blue wire on the harness correct?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Did you purchase the wiring harness to install the radio?

If the answer to the above question is no, I have no idea what color the wire is in the vehicle.   But to be safe and not damage the remote output of your new deck, try this, get an in line fuse holder and a 1 amp fuse.  Connect the BLACK/ Green wire to one end of the fuse holder, touch the other end of the fuse holder to the same wire you connected the Red wire of your radio to.  If this makes sound come out of your speakers, that is the right wire.  It will now be safe to connect that wire to the blue/white wire of your new radio.

ll1984 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
yes there is a wiring harness but the white wire powers the left dash speaker. this is the diagram i used http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327001.pdf
didn't get to do it today likely will tomorrow
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic