icon

stereo removal tools

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
start25 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

Any shop owners here?  What tools are needed to remove stereos from all cars?  I found this tool removal kit on ebay I wonder if I even need all those tools in that kit.  What are the main tools I need to keep in my shop for stereo removal?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
This is nowhere near the entire list of tools you will need, but it is a start.   Metric nutdrivers or ratchet/socket setup  in 7,8 and 10 MM sizes.  A 2 MM allen wrench.  A set of Ford removal keys, available at AutoZone for a few dollars.  Also good to have a boatload of patience and puzzle solving abilities.  I am sure the set you saw on Ebay contains removal keys to remove aftermarket decks from their sleeves.  A new radio comes with the keys necessary to remove that radio.  A set of panel removal tools off of the Snap-On truck is also a blessing to have.  Oh yeah I almost forgot, a 5/16 inch GM battery post wrench and also a 12 MM for some Imports.  You know you have to disconnect the battery.  I don't know why those almost slipped my mind, Oh now I remember why.  If you are going to be removing some older Nissan radios you will need a Snap On #2 phillips screwdriver with a flawless tip and a 3/8 inch nut at the handle, this is to put a wrench on it for added torque.  Use this screwdriver only on these radios.   Any slight wear on the tip and it is not going to get the screws out.    Hopefully someone can add to the list for you.
fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
you will also need a multimeter (i.e. fluke or snap-on etc.) some good quality cuters i use snap-on flush cuts, crimpers, a set of pick tools, also how could i forget a soldering iron i use a butane powered one from you guessed it snap-on, a quality drill, with an array of bits, a set of step drill bits will come in handy as well. this is just another list of some basic tools that i keep in my shop to go along with the list that i am an idiot posted earlier.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Crowbar and cutting torch.  Don't forget those if you plan to work on Mazda RX8's.  stereo removal tools -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Crowbar and cutting torch.  Don't forget those if you plan to work on Mazda RX8's.  stereo removal tools -- posted image.

Man I had a crowbar and a torch, I guess I bought this recip saw for nothing.  I am such an Idiot sometime.

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
  One important tool that is often overlooked is a small hard plastic pry bar type tool, they dont damage the factory dash piec around the radio, never use a flathead it will mar the piece. 
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Or a Snap On panel removal set.

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

don't forget the 90 degree skew adapter.....life saver when working on dash speakers, or even replacing rear deck speakers!  as far as drills....I personally like makita...been using the same one for 6 yrs...no problems!!

One thing is for sure.....you can't be cheap about it....you'll make a living with these tools so investing more in the beginning, will save you more in the long run!  Snap-on trucks are the #$#$@! 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
And also be advised that if you're doing a Land Rover there's probably no option other than having the dealer remove the radio - to my knowledge no aftermarket supplier makes a tool for those and the dealers I've talked to aren't inclined to share.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Or a Snap On panel removal set.

+1.  Besides the standard tools and multimeter already mentioned, consider an RTA for system setup and an SPL meter (a real one like a Term Lab.)  They can be had relatively inexpensively and proper system setup is really what separates the pros from the backyard hacks.  And if you have the space for doing it correctly, fiberglass fabrication tools - or at least make an arrangement with another shop in your area who offers custom glass work.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic