icon

jl 300/4 power confusion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lrdbut 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

I have a new jl audio 300/4 v2 amp pushing a pair of 6.5 components with the front channels and pushing a sub with the two rear channels bridged. The speakers and sub are all 4-ohm. Once I got into reading the owners manual and tuning the amp (via DMM), I realized that, according to jl, I am running a "sub-optimum" configuration and the front speakers are only getting half of the amp's available power (38 instead of 75 RMS).

According to their chart, the optimum configuration for a stereo/bridged combo would be 4-ohm for the fronts and 8-ohm for the bridged rear outputs, which would give me 75X2 for the front speakers and 150X1 for the sub.

My questions are:

Should I switch out the sub for an 8-ohm version?

As an alternative, is there something I can install in-line between the amp and sub to make the amp think it's pushing 8-ohms?

Would I notice any difference anyway? (The front speakers are jl C5's and have a recommended power range from 25-75 watts RMS).

Thanks in advance.

jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
depending on what type of sub do you have is it 4 ohm dvc if so how many do you have. if only 1 4dvc wire it in series to give you that 8 ohm load
lrdbut 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

jar754 wrote:
depending on what type of sub do you have is it 4 ohm dvc if so how many do you have. if only 1 4dvc wire it in series to give you that 8 ohm load

It's a 4 ohm single voice coil.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
"Sub-optimum"?  What made you think that?  Indeed, if you refer to page 16 of your owner's manual you will find under "Optimum Configuration" stereo @ 4-ohms on channels 1 and 2 and bridged @ 4-ohms on channels 3 and 4 listed.  Just set the voltage level for those loadings per the table they give you and you are rocking.
Support the12volt.com
lrdbut 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
"Sub-optimum"?  What made you think that?  Indeed, if you refer to page 16 of your owner's manual you will find under "Optimum Configuration" stereo @ 4-ohms on channels 1 and 2 and bridged @ 4-ohms on channels 3 and 4 listed.  Just set the voltage level for those loadings per the table they give you and you are rocking.

Hi there DYohn: My manual (Appendix C on p. 9 of 13 of the PDF version) says the optimum configuration for a stereo/bridged combo would be 4 ohms for the stereo and 8 ohms for the bridged to get the full 75/150 watts at 17.3 volts and 34.6 volts respectively. (link for the manual is http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/13192.pdf)

For the setup I have the instructions say set the front channels to 12.3 volts and the bridged rear channel to 24.6, which gives me 38 watts X 2 and 150 watts X 1.

I talked to JLand they confirmed I was reading the charts correctly and they said 38 watts was plenty to drive the speakers and I wouldn't notice the difference. That may be true but for the $ I dropped on the amp I'd kind of like to be on the 'optimum' side! 

jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
u wont notice the difference, but if its that big of a deal than either add another 4 ohm svc or and wire it in series, or sell what you got and get a 4 ohm dvc wire(series as well), or get a 8 ohm svc sub
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Bull.  Just set it to:

Stereo side: 75 watts @ 4-ohms (17.3 volts per channel) and Bridged side 150 watts @ 4-ohms (24.6 volts)

Support the12volt.com
lrdbut 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Bull.  Just set it to:

Stereo side: 75 watts @ 4-ohms (17.3 volts per channel) and Bridged side 150 watts @ 4-ohms (24.6 volts)

Yes Sir...and thanks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic