icon

fiberglass to wood?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deegz97 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

Hi folks. I'm looking for a bit of guidance.

I'm looking to do a fiberglass enclosure for my sub (Polk Audio db10, either SVC or DVC - I haven't decided yet, and that's another question, for another forum...heehee). The enclosure is going to be in the cargo area (along the passenger side, using an unused storage space) in a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have it designed, well, essentially designed. It may change a bit  "on the fly", but I digress...

I have the proper enclosure volume and I am going to be using a combination of 3/4" MDF for the front of the box and fiberglass for all other sides of the box. The front of the box needs to be flat (hence the MDF) because of personal design preference and in keeping with the idea of allocating enough storage space for multiple sets of golf clubs or the light hauling that I do on occasion.

I have been reading the forums for a couple of months now, and have decided to start. I am going to be using the saran wrap, foil, masking tape method to begin the glasswork, as the shape needs to be more accurate than the skeleton/fleece method. But, my main question (for now) lies here: how does the glass adhere to the MDF? One forum suggested that the MDF be "roughed up" so that the glass can bite into it, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough. Just looking for some other ideas and reassurance before I get butt deep in resin.

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and have a great holiday weekend!!

albertatech 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
IDK, Im not a fiberglass installer but it would seem to me that if you covered the MDF with fiberglass you could keep the flat without sacrificing much strength. Thats my two cents but Im a remote start installer so I dont have the experience some of the others here do.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2008 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
I dont even rough it up first. I just glass straight onto the board, its MDF man so it soaks up everything anyways, it will be more than sufficent for what your doing
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
deegz97 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2008 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

That's great guys, thanks for the replies! Someone else mentioned to me not to bother roughing it up.

Hope you guys had a great Fourth!

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  

If you are still taking opinions, I like to rabbet a lip to the MDF (1/8 x 1/8") Staple the glass to the lip and build up from there. When I have everything where I want it, I go over the edge with Duraglass (FG reinforced resin) to give added strength and more surface area for the glass and resin to bite into. I also like this trick because it helps to keep the joint area smoother and cleaner.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
deegz97 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Bellsracer! That's a fantastic idea. I can picture how clean that would make/keep the edges...I was hoping to get started this weekend, but my car is acting strange - I think the transmission is f-ed. So, I may hold off for a bit. I have the templates that I need already made, so just a matter now of beginning the glass work. But, hopefully, the car will pull through this ok. Since I have no car payment, I would like to keep it a couple more years...

This extra week will give me some time to do more studying on the glass!!! Excited to start!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic