whole car audio setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
husn8r 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

hey all,

i was wondering what your views are on polk audio?

also in future im planning to build a project 180sx (i live in aus i think you call them 240sx) and i am lookin at spending $8000 on the audio. i wanted to keep it to one brand name so if i could get some ideas of the most dominant car audio brand in the US i should be right i hope. i listen to bass songs so the subs gotta haul ass.

cheers id appreciate the opinion.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Jolk Audio? Why don't you just ask us all what we think of Blose Audio... Or Audiobohm...
Over-rated, underperforming, drastically overpriced and definitely NOT audiophile, IMHO. It sounds OK, but so far beyond the point of diminishing returns...
Alpine, or Eclipse. Not necessarily in that order. If you can get Nakamichi or Denon down under, THAT'S the stuff. The Clarion high-end stuff is good, as well.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
husn8r 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

no not jolk

P... Polk audio

other than the smart ass comment thanx for your opinion.

anyone else?

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
PLEASE put on your sarcasm hat! It's thick in this one.
husn8r wrote:
no not jolk
OOOoohhh... I thought you were asking for ALL of our opinions... Maybe I shouldn't have answered like that, as that isn't necessarily ALL of our opinions around here... Just MOST of us.
husn8r wrote:
P... Polk audio
Dude... The answer is in the question. Polk audio IS a joke. Like I said, you might as well have come here and asked us all if we like Audiobahn. Polk Audio is NOT all it's cracked up to be. I have met the man, and next to Dr. Bose, Señor Polk is the biggest snake-oil salesman I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I walked away shaking my head in dismay, amazed that people believe the garbage that he and his company spew. While Polk Audio ISN'T as bad as Bose in their TOTAL LACK of R&D, they are simply nowhere CLOSE to the Polk products of yesteryear, and even MORE overpriced now, than they were at that time.
husn8r wrote:
other than the smart ass comment thanx for your opinion.
It's what I do... [:P]
husn8r wrote:
anyone else?
I think I made a friend... KIDDING. But seriously, if you ask a loaded question like this one, you are going to get MANY responses around here, and not all of them are going to be what you want to hear. If you like the stuff, then USE the stuff. It shouldn't matter one iota what we think, but for an 8K system, there's FAR better product out there. FAR better...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

My opinion of Polk: in 1990 they were one of the better brands available.  Today they are simply middle of the pack and nothing special, and overpriced.  Same for Boston Acoustics.  $8K can be spent in far better ways.

So I assume by your question you need to build an entire system including head unit, amps, main speakers and subwoofer?  If you want it all to be one brand then your only really good choices are Eclipse, Clarion or Alpine.  Ten years ago I might have added Pioneer and Blaupunkt.  If I was putting together an all-one-brand system today I'd start with Eclipse, and then if I couldn't get it to sound exactly the way I wanted I'd look at Alpine, then Clarion.

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
You know if you can live with using a certain brand of head unit then matching up EVERYTHING else in the system you are taking alot of chains off your choices. As said Eclipse is probally your best bet for a complete one name system, but if you use all one name except for deck then you open your choices up to include JL, Kicker (not the best for sq), Hertz/Audison, Focal and a couple others that I am sure I am forgetting. Expand your limits slightly and the world is your oyster (sp, you know that thing with the pearl in it)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
husn8r 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  

haha ok im sorry to haemphyst i was really wized off at the time i wrote that reply.

so stay away from polk then. by whole audio system i meant sound producers not the head unit (sorry shouldve elaborated).

i was looking for the highest RMS system available in the price range. its a newbie Question i know but with time ill learn all this doodie.

haemphyst 
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
No harm done... whole car audio setup -- posted image.
So, my understanding is that you are looking for speakers - an entire system's worth of speakers. Is that correct? Are you looking for separates? If so, do you want two-way or three-way? Are you looking for subs to match? How much power are you planning on for the entire install? Subwoofers sealed or vented? How much trunk space are you wanting or willing to sacrifice? You've already mentioned that you want the woofers to "haul ass", are you in the market for any particular brand name? 10's, 12's, or 15's? One or multiple woofers?
Flesh it out with a little bit more info, and then we'll be able to help you with some more (and better) suggestions.
husn8r 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2008 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

alright ill give this a shot.

i want to sacrifice all the trunk. i was thinking two 12" subs. 6x9s. and 6 1/2 splits in the front.

as for power subs 1000W+.  6x9s and splits to suit.

i was thinking about a setup something like these:

(EDIT by mod)

again im sorry but im new to all this.

dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Your pictures did not work for me but then again it might be this new fire fox 3 crap. So I'm not sure what your planning.
Ya really want to keep the main speakers the same size so go with 6 1/2 all the way around it will help with the timber matching. You really need to get out and start to demo those speakers your wanting because what I like you may not like type of thing.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic