the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Can I Use a Passkey 3 Bypass Without a Remote Start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csb41502 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
i just picked up an 01 grand prix.but it has a problem with the passkey system.i have tried the key thing with the security light,but after 10 min the light dont shut off.i have left it alone for 45 min and it still blinks.i dont want to go thru the hassle of getting a new passkey module and getting it reprogrammed by the dealer.i picked up the car for 300 bucks and dont have the money to tow it all over.i just wanna bypass the passkey and be done with it.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
You can use a bypass without a remote start, but you still need to program it. Without a properly working system, you can't program the module.
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
so my problem with security light is not as easy as i thought?wouldnt a bypass shut the light off and let me start the car?
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
The "light" is not what is preventing you from starting the car. The Passkey system is the problem. Most of the systems out there require you to program the system before it will work. Cars are designed that way so a thief can't just connect a bypass module, hot wire the car and drive off.   Most cars even require 2 different keys to program a 3rd key so someone that borrows your car (a valet or a shady mechanic) can't program a key while working on your car and then go to your house later and steal your car.
That being said... your car is a bit different. Look into a PKG3 from bypasskit.com. It says No Programming Required. I also remember a DEI 555G not needing programing either, but they stopped making that module a few years back. You may still find one online for cheap though.   Before you buy anything make sure you read the manual first for programming instructions. If it says you have to start the car, it won't work.
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
i saw on bypasskit.com pkg4 says nothing about starting car just turning to on position.it will blink 4 times when programmed then move jumper.on that kit,the brown wire that would go to the remote start(neg when running or something like that)where would i put that?
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
That won't work. When you turn the key on it reads the signal and programs the module. Look at the PKG3 manual.
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged  
ok ill look again.do i use the brown wire on the pkg3 unit?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
So you're saying that the "SECURITY" light never stops flashing? Even after you've left the key on for more than 10 (45, you say) minutes? That's odd.
It's possible that, for whatever reason, the key you have has been cut to turn in the ignition, but not programmed to the car.
Since you don't have much to lose, give this a try:
(set parking brake to keep daytime running lamps off, to reduce drain on battery)
1. Turn key on, attempt to start car, leave key in Run position.
The security light should flash.
After 10 minutes, the light should stop flashing, turn key to Off.
2. Repeat step 1, two more times. (Three 10 minute cycles total.
3. Now, the key should be programmed to the car, and if it worked, the car should start.
P.S. Are you sure the key you have is really a PASSKey III key? It should have the symbols PK3 stamped on the metal part, near the head.
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
ive tried all that.nothing works.some people told me it could be the passkey module or the ignition switch/harness.does anyone know how to change these things?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Those pieces probably wouldn't be that hard to change, but firing random parts at an undiagnosed problem can be costly and frustrating.
As for the key, does it say PK3 on it? Is it a factory key with the GM logo, or an aftermarket brand? Does it have a rubber head, or plain metal?
And any more background information? Has this car ever started while you owned it, or did you buy it non-running, and get it towed home?
Do you have any more keys for it?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic