icon

13w7 1000/1 in h2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alpinemike9835 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Im getting ready to have the following installed and wanted some ideas on SPL and possible power issues:

2 - JL 13w7

2 - JL1000/1

1 - Focal K2P

1 - Focal 130KP

1 - JL 450/4

I just wanted to see if anyone knew how this would sound with a local JL authorized reseller doing the install in a vented enclosure.

Also does anyone know what i should do for power besides the big3 since i already did that...ie...is the h2 alternator good enough and should i do two batteries....

Just looking for thoughts...thanks

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

without question you'll need two batteries, capacitors, and possibly an alternator upgrade. 

Did you mean that you're getting your stuff from an Authorized Dealer, or Reseller?

just curious

alpinemike9835 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

sorry...authorized dealer.  Its a Tweeter company.

I am trying to get all stinger products from them for wires and batteries and isolators and alternators...

they told me what they wanted to do but i want to see if i can get some better info/suggestions as to what i can do to maximize the output of the system without killing my car.

They say red-top up front with 0 gauge to an isolator with 0 gauge to a rear mounted stinger battery with 4 gauge to each amp.  They havent volunteered any info about an alternator but i did ask and they said i should upgrade it after i asked...but of course they want me to spend more.

I just want some non brand favored-honest input on this.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Without a doubt you need a high output alternator, even with just one of those amps, that should be the first decision even before the audio system is designed, you need to know how big of an alternator you can get, then build the system around the power you have available.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
alpinemike9835 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

Alright so i ordered a 250 stinger HO alternator...they said i could go dual alternators...what are the thoughts on that....

Also i still would like to know if anyone out there has heard what a system like this sounds like.  Ive spent mad money on it so far and want to make sure ill like it...

Thanks for all input

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  

They've got you on the right track as far as the batteries.  You'll have to find an alternator for the system and I doubt they are the guys to provide it.   Stinger makes custom high-output alternators for large systems.  Most of them are rated around 200 to 250 amps.  Stock alternator output for GM SUV's is usually around 85 - 95 amps.  "High output" alts from parts stores such as Napa, or Schucks's are usually around 105 amps.  My opinion is that 105 is still a little light for your system.  I've sold and installed quite a few of the Stinger custom alts and they are expensive but extremely effective.

Another option is a dual alt setup.  This may be a cheaper option than the custom alt, but that depends on the shop labor.

jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think your gonna need a capacitor with dual batteries and ho alts
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

I agree completely with what Alpine Guy. Get your charging system setup first, then worry about how much power to use. After you find out how much power you'll be using, then you can  select your sub(s). After the subs comes the box (this is completely up to what kind of sound/output you want; to sound good and go low, or get loud.)

Do dual alts if you have the money, period. Then get a nice set of 3 Powermaster batteries, 1 for under the hood and 2 in the back.

I think JL would be good for the sub amp, but you may want to look into something different (solely to be different than everyone in your area).

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
alpinemike9835 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

well i already contacted stinger since they are here in florida right up the road from where i live, and i bought a 200 amp alternator.  I asked about a 250 but they only do dual 200's.  For now im going with their 200 amp and maybe later adding on another 200.  I already bought all the JL stuff and the focal stuff so its now up to how the box is built...im going for ridiculusly loud but quality when its not so loud.  Ive been told that JL is the way to go so i broke down and spent the cash.

I really just want to get an opinion on SPL in an SUV with the large vented enclosure.  Any thoughts? Has anyone heard a similar setup?

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2008 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

*Factory 145a alternator, BTW.

How much did you pay for the 200a Stinger alternator? You could've gotten a 200a alternator from Napa for about $250 -WITH a limited lifetime warantee...

Just so you know. *I saw the post by megaman and knew they can't be that small!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic