alternator upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullseye753 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

Hey all

I currently have two 12" kicker l5's w/ a hifonics amp.. pulling about 1000 watts. I realize i probably have about a month until i get stranded somewhere with a dead alternator.. 01 neons have an 85 amp i believe and im going to need something like a 120..

BUT.. i am also thinking about adding a 4 channel amp to my speakers..  i just need an amp thatll do 50x4 @ 4o. any suggestions? AND how much more amperage would i be pulling.. would i need to bump up to around a 150 alternator??

My headunit is an Alpine IDA-X300.. only one set of preouts.. when adding this second amp am i able to simply daisy chain the rca's from the output of my sub amp to the input of this future speaker amp? if yes, would that be backwards, and should i connect the main rca's to the speaker amp then daisy chain the sub amp.. or would that make no difference?

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

Daisy chaining the rca's is perfectly fine as long as the RCA outs on whatever amp connected first are a true "pass-through" type meaning, non-filtered.  Some amplifiers have a switch to have the output RCA's either non-filtered, or filtered via on-board crossovers.

When upgrading your alternator, my feeling is more is better.  Better to have too much current availability than not enough.  Before long you'll get used to the power you have now, and wanting an upgrade.  Having a larger alt will give you the option of more power, more bass, and a painfully loud system down the road.  Upgrade once.

bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
ok so if im not positive my current sub amp outs are true pass through.. i should make sure my speaker amp IS.. so i dont have to worry about my sub amp outputs at all. correct? or is a there a definite way to tell.. i can look in the manual but who knows if its there.. its a titan txi 1000d if anyone has past experiences. and any suggestion on this type of speaker amp?
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Your Hifonics Titan has Pass-through RCA's.  Most amps that give you the ability to filter the RCA outputs will have a selector switch and/or a frequency pot.
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
awesome thank you
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

one more thing. i have 4 speakers all 4 ohm 50w.  do i need a 4-ch amp to power all of them at 50w x 4 @ 4ohm. OR could i go with a 2-ch amp and do something like 100w x2 @ 2 ohm and wire the front 2 speakers in parallel as well as the back 2. Sorry if this is a noob question. Im growing out of my bass days and into actually being able to hear my music.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic