icon

low frequency drop off at high volume

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vulgar_display 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
I just recently removed the stereo from my 98 S10 and installed it in the 05 dodge magnum I just bought. The system consists of an Alpine Head unit, boston acoustics highs, and a Diamond Audio CM3 12" sub. The sub is powered by a Rockford 1200 watt amp. When the sub and amp were in the small truck they would hit so hard my vision would start to shake. Now that they are in the bigger vehicle that has more airspace they play louder at low volume, and then slowly drown out the more volume I add. At low volume the sub overpowers the highs, and at high volume the highs and lows achieve a satisfactory balance, but the extreme low end disappears.
The box the sub is in is most likely too small because it had to fit behind the seat of an s10, and I think this could be a major culprit behind the issue. Will a bigger box solve the issue?
After reading about clipping I also think that could be a problem, but I didn't have this issue in the truck and no settings have been changed. I'm at a complete loss, any ideas?
Great forum/website by the way, glad I found it.
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
i would also check for a current drop at high volume.. but i think u mite be rite.... the box for the s-10 undoubtedly probably matched the acoutics of the s-10 better for the type of sound u were lookin for..... i would probably check into a new enclosure... especially if there isn't any kind of voltage drop....
there can be only one.......
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Seems like the enclosure is incorrect for the vehicle and you are clipping the amp.
What is the model number of the amp???
vulgar_display 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
If I'm up on what rockford has out right now, it's from 2 generations ago. 1200watt (they're exaggerating trust me) I can't find the box and I'm too lazy to go out to the car right now and look at it. Anyways, I have it bridged, and for some reason the Gain for the right channel which as far as I know I'm not using actually has some effect on how hard it plays. What is that all about? The positive is coming from the left side.
Anyways, I turned the right gain all the way down, and then set the left channel gain where I get no distortion, it hit's a little harder, but not hard enough for my tastes. I checked the volume of my current box, and it should still be within the recommended specs for the sub.
With the same amp bridged would 2 subs hit harder then 1, or would the reduction watts per sub make it play at the same level? I can pick up 2 12" audiobahns for 100 bucks from my friend if it would be worthwhile.
Thanks for the replies guys.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  

It sounds like you have a Rockford 401S  it has in big writing 1200 watts and below it in little writing 401S.  Which means they THINK it is a 400 watt amp, into 4 ohm mono or 2 ohm stereo load.

When you bridge an amplifier it uses both channels of the amp.  Each gain control is going to change the level of your sub.

Before you go buy these woofers from your buddy, you really need to find out more about the woofers.   What impedance ore the voice coils of the woofers?   Are they single or dual voice coil?

vulgar_display 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
I finally had time to check the model on the amp, and you're correct it is the 401S. Big step downhill in quality from the Rockford's of old. I remember the Rockford 800 watt amp from about 10 years ago that was simply amazing. I'm almost positive the subs he has for sale are DVC's.
Where exactly does clipping occur? In the amp or in the sub? I've heard the same single diamond sub I have absolutely pound and not distort. Mine is barely flexing, and it starts to sound like crap. Most likely just the cheap amp powering it I'm guessing.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
First thing is you NEED to adjust BOTH gains to the same level.  If not you will never get the system to perform how it's supposed to.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Clipping occurs in the amplifier. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic