99 bmw e36 323is coupe wont start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
black-bimmer 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
hi
i have a scytek 5100rs security system in my car when i first installed it i hooked up an extra relay to the wrong clutch sensor thinking that the car would start w/o the clutch. however i finally got it to start w/o the clutch by sending a start wire to the other clutch sensor. everything worked fine except for when i pressed the clutch to shift gears, i heard a stock relay somewhere under my dash clicking very rapidly and soon after a few weeks it stopped. so then i decided a few days ago to go back in and remove the extra relay that i had added in earlier. after i removed it, i started my car and it started just fine. but after putting the metal and plastic cover back on under my steering wheel, i tried to start my car and it wouldnt start. so i took the panels off again and put the relay back in just like it was...tried to start but it wouldnt....it doesnt even crank.
my thoughts so far are....
1. my clutch sensor does not work for some reason
2. my key somehow got unprogrammed
2. there is a problem with the ews computer
4. the oem transponder ring somehow failed
5. or the original clutch relay needs to be replaced
does anyone know what could the problem possibly be?
thank you
twistedp 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

when you say sensor i assume you mean switch, right? does it have a conventional single/double throw, single pole switch to enable the starter? how did you wire the relay? the clicking indicates a back feeding current that is half-triggering the relay. it's probably wired wrong or the coil needs to be diode isolated. this can fry a relay and/or blow a fuse. check all the fuses under the hood and inside (they're in the glove box behind a panel i believe) make sure they are all ok.

Twisted Performance
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

The OEM security system should NOT prevent the starter from cranking.  It will prevent the motor from turning over or cause it to die quickly if it does happen to start.

I would investigate the clutch interlock to make sure it is working as designed - your problem is most likely there.

black-bimmer 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2008 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
what do you mean single/double throw clutch switch? all i know is that it has a three wire connector and just one pin that is pressed when the clutch pedal is pressed.
see the thing is that it was always working just fine.... even after i took off the relay, the car started just fine but when i put the panel covers back in, it wouldnt start ....everything lights up on the dash but when you turn the key to "start" it doesnt do anything....
the fuses under the hood are all good but behind the glovebox i couldnt find any fuses just one relay and like 5 computers/modules
im pretty sure that nothing should be wrong with my clutch switch b/c i didnt do anything to it and i dont think that my key couldve somehow gotten unprogrammed
black-bimmer 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
how would i go about checking it?
black-bimmer 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
can anybody tell me how to check my clutch switch if it is in working condition or broken?
thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

There should be a wire on that switch that goes to ground when the clutch is depressed all the way.  Set an ohm meter to the diode test function.  This is a picture of the symbol of a diode.

99 bmw e36 323is coupe wont start - Last Post -- posted image.

Touch and hold the black lead of the meter to the chassis of the vehicle, or any other ground.   Then touch the red meter lead to the wire coming off of the clutch switch.  Press the clutch pedal to the floor, if the meter beeps constantly, your switch is working.   If there are multiple wires on the switch, you will need to test each wire.

twistedp 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

black-bimmer wrote:
can anybody tell me how to check my clutch switch if it is in working condition or broken?
thanks

you should be able to check the switch by metering each wire individually and determining whether any of the three wires change polarity when you 1)press the switch in and 2) press the switch in with the ignition turned to the start position.

please be careful when you do this! for obvious reasons. you dont want the car moving while your lying halfway out of it. put it in neutral and put the parking brake on.

oh and remove any wiring you've integrated into the clutch switch circuit first. if it has three wires, one should be a reference voltage; another, a starter circuit enable; and finally, maybe a cruise control disable.

Twisted Performance
black-bimmer 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks i'll try that
oh and can anybody tell me how to check if a relay is still functional or broken?
thanks
black-bimmer 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
i just had a blown fuse that all
thanks for all your help tho

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic