2008 ford powered tow mirrors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Obwan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hello All,

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion that has oem poweRED / heat tow mirrors.  I recently installed a set of 2008 Super Duty tow mirrors that have power/heat/signal/marker light.  Everything works except the left/right controls for the powered mirror work in reverse (e.g. you push on the left switch but mirror moves right).  Up and down work fine.

Reading from other forums, I understand that on the 2008 mirrors, Ford moved the location of the motor that controls the left/right motion to the other side of the mirror which is why the controls now work in reverse.  I tried reversing the left/right wires on the switch itself, but this didn't work.

I have also read that the mirror motor direction is controlled by +12V and -12V impulses, and that there might be a fix involving relays.  I don't quite understand how the mirrors operate, and therefore, I don't know how to figure out a solution.

Can anyone explain to me how powered mirrors operate and/or help me figure out how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

phlame217 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2008 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Me being simple would deal with it.
But otherwise, get a DMM and measure the amp and volts for the left and right directions. Once you get that and either confirm or find the true way it controls them, then we can tell you the appropriate relay method to reverse polarity of the wires or whatnot.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic