the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

sub amp thermal protection problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
But if this is what it takes to get you to try wiring your voice coils in series, so be it.   Try it and let us know how it goes.

Like was suggested originally.  sub amp thermal protection problem - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
David, having some experience with these amps, I can tell you hands down right now that the issue is with the amp. It is a great amp if you are not taking it to task. As the person who made the post is taking it to the max, I would do what I have done for every single customer that comes in here with the same problem, replace the amp to one that can handle the heat. Audison used to make some clip on fans for these amps, they helped but still did not solve the problem. Came across this very problem with a RX8 and two Eclipse aluminum 12's when I used to sell the Audison line here in my store. After seeing the problem more than twice, we instantly recommended a more suitable amplifier for the install.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Very good info Rob, thank you.  Since I never push amps to the max it was not an issue for the one Audisson amp I've used.
Support the12volt.com
musthavemore 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you both for your help on this matter.   As I did not intend on pushing the amp to the max, I thought I was purchasing an amp that had the headroom that was neccessary for my application. 

So the question becomes, what feature is it that this amp lacks that I need to have in the next piece?  Is a Class D what I need to invest in?  I am not interested in a super loud SPL system.  I would prefer to have an amp that will have higher SQ abilities.

Jeff
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Audison makes some fine equipment, in this case though, the rather small chassis (and therfor small heatsink), prolonged use, summer months and class AB is not what todays subwoofer amplifier should be. As you have just now found out. I would be ideally looking at a class D type amplifier for this application. Where abouts in BC are you?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
musthavemore 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2008 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I live in Vancouver and am in the Okanagan aften throughout the summer months.
Jeff
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic