icon

flipdown monitor w/ air vents

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itz2god 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

i have a 12 inch monitor w/ built-in dvd player that i would like to install into a 2004 Ford Expedition.  what is the difficulty of trying to install this with the air vents.  i've never attempted anything like this before...but i can generally work my way through a simple sub/amp install.  should i leave this to the pros, or is this really as simple as the directions make it out to be? 

please advise quickly

bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
where do you plan to mount the screen dvd player? I dont know much about this, but I know you can easily buy a 12 volt fan and connect it to a 12 volt power line in your car (or maybe to your battery w/a switch) and run it where ever you want.
cb11044 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
i've installed a few overheads on expeditions like the one u speak of.  Don't worry about the air vents they won't be in your way. Just make sure the screen fits in between the vents.  There is no tubing for the vents above the headliner.  So if it fits in between those vents it should be just like any other overhead install
itz2god 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

I asked a professional his opinion on this install without telling him that I would be doing it.  He told me that I would need a thicker trim panel because of my air vents.  Does this really pose as a problem or are they telling me this so that can make some money?

itz2god 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I want it for the 2nd row right in front of them so all can view.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Easy install. You don't mention if it has a sunroof or not, very easy with and the install is totally different than without. We have 12 by 18 metal plates we screw above the headliner but many guys use plywood. Honestly, it sounds like you should consider letting a proffesional do it....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
itz2god 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
it doesnt have a sunroof.  i've decided to let a professional do the install instead of trying it myself before i mess something up.  thanks for all your help.  i'm definitely interested in joining this industry...
itz2god 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
i got it installed and it took the guy like 6 hrs to install.  now my rear speakers dont work...they worked at one point but the monitor rattled so much that i took it back to get everything tightened up, 6 hrs later again, now my rear speakers have no sound. 
diagnall 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2008 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Install on that should if I screw around and talk to the others here take no more than 45 mins. The air vent on the outside shouldn't be a issue and if you have the center it can be relocated behind the monitor. 12 hours on that simple of a install should tell you that the guy you picked has no clue what he's doing...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic