icon

2000 silverado, alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheDouche 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
hey i was wondering if anyone had a how to or some advice on a 2000 silverado alarm/remote start install. i was gunna install a viper 791xv into the truck. its a 2000, 5.3L, automatic, 2WD, hmmm thats about it. also its a pretty hard vehicle to hide the brain so do you guys have any suggestions on where to do that?
OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you take off the dash, you have plenty of places to choose from.
twistedp 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
piece of cake. 99% of your wires can be tagged at the pcm behind the lower dash / shin panel and behind the metal semi-circular plate covering the ignition wires and switch. i always stuff the module right behind the fuse panel on the left. if you're installing a 791xv then you'll need a bypass for the factory anti-theft system (ie: ib-plxr by omega).
Twisted Performance
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2008 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
bypass module? they said you dont need anything. hmm....i think i should look into this a little more. so all im gunna need is the pcm wiring diagram basically correct? do you suggest i wrap everything in split loom or just wrap it with tape?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Several thoughts...
1. The brain can most likely be hidden behind the radio, climate controls, light switch, or cluster; and it should be reasonably stealthy provided the harnesses are also made to look like factory wiring - so you'll want to use tape and not split loom for your underdash harnesses because that's what GM used. If you really want to get into it buy a roll of gray tape too and tape some of your smaller wire groupings with that.
2. All trucks made by GM since '98 have Passlock or Passkey. Your truck specifically has Passlock II, so there are many bypasses to choose from - Bypasskit's PLJX, or GMBP, Directed 555L, 556L, and others - I've used all of those and they work reasonably well.
3. You should look at the Vehicle Wiring page on this site - 2nd nav bar from the top of the screen. Also, it's the Body control module under the dash, not the Powertrain control module - that one's under the hood on the driver's side next to the radiator.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
thats what i though. it said pcm in the upper post. but is it true that most the connections will be at the BCM? so the bypass module and BCM wiring diagram and i should be golden?
i find it pretty interesting trying to use the wiring diagrams on this site. some of the wires are double when your trying to find them but there pretty good still
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
That's what the multimeter is for...it's not good practice to connect wires without verifying. Anyway the only wires that aren't at the BCM would be tach, hoodpin(the truck doesn't have one from the factory), brake(the wiring info doesn't say so but you might find one there), as well as the ignition switch wires, and some of the wires you would need for your bypass module.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic