icon

rpm's / Dimming lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
molotov_icr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2003 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

My rpms fluctuate and lights dim, even when my stereo is not playing loud.

I've got an extra battery hooked up to my three amps.

Should I buy a cap?  Friends tell me that won't be enough, (that I need a new high amp alternator). Or is there something else that I've over looked?

'94 accord.

What do you guys recommend?

"If it's to loud, Then you're to old"
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2003 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
First off how many watts rms are you running? A cap is not a band aid and you probably wouldn’t see any kind of a difference adding one. But you say your rpms and lights dimm at low levels, sounds like you might have a bad or weak charging system. A high output alternator might be the answer but first I need to know the rms watts and any other accessories you may have running.
lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2003 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
are you using a isolator for your two batteries? if not, you should! i would also recomend a cap.
molotov_icr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2003 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

Isolator? 

I'm not sure how many watts, but i've got one beefy amp, used to power my 15w3's(500w rmsx2).  The other two amps  have a low rms, I'll Guess 90 combined.  I'm also running an equalizer and 80watt halogen bulbs.

"If it's to loud, Then you're to old"
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you definately need to get a high amp alternator. I would also install an isolator, it is just a relay that "isolates" your secondary batteries from your primary one. You can pick up a nice stinger 200 amp relay on ebay for about 50 bucks or an 80 amp one for about 20.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hi donkason, I agree with your suggestion to get a high output alternator, but here's a tip: an isolator is not a relay. It's essentially a pair of large diodes (typically rated at 70 amps each and higher) with an input terminal (the two anode ends together) and two output terminals (each cathode end). It's purpose is to prevent each battery from discharging or drawing current from the other. A 200 amp relay is another way to prevent one battery from discharging the other when the coil of the relay is not energized, but it will allow one to draw current from the other when the coil is energized if an isolator is not used.

rpm's / Dimming lights -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic