icon

alpine iva d900 brain problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kitt350 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I think I know of a solution to this problem, actually 2 solutions but I am wondering about the second solution.  I have a used alpine iva-d900.  I have had it in my car for over a year.  I have a small problem every now and then and I am wanting to try and get it fixed.  The problem I have is the main plug that goes into the brain doesn't clip in like it should.  It doesn't come out easily but it does wiggle loose a bit some times.  I know it is coming loose when I start to loose the speakers on the drivers side.  I just reach under the seat and wiggle the plug and it is fine.  One solution is to buy a new brain, not wanting to go that route just yet.  What I am wondering is if I got a 4 or 5 channel amp, would like to get one of alpines theater amps for 5.1 surround sound since I have an 03 eclipse with a factory center speaker.  Now if I was to get the amp and have the RCA's go to the amp and from the amp to the speakers, this should solve the probelm of the plug coming loose and losing sound in the speakers because the sound is going from that plug to the speakers anymore, it is going to the amp and then to the speakers.  Hopefully I didnt confuse anyone with this but with the knowledge that I have for wiring up radio's and amp's, use to work at a local install shop doing this, it should work without a problem.  Just wanting some input from others on this solution.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
If it were me, I would mount the brain securely and strategically place a block of some sort to hold the plug in place. 
kitt350 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2008 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have it zip tied it but it still wiggles loose.  Not that often though.  i am just wondering if going through an amp will solve this problem.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I don't understand how one of the speakers is the first thing to lose connection.  On the plug the constant wire is on one side and the switched wire is on the other end.  It seems as though you would lose constant or switched at the same time if not before you lost a speaker.
kitt350 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Don't ask me either because I don't know either, it just does.   Will adding the amp help cure this problem since the sound won't be coming out of that plug anymore.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 01, 2008 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
It will play until the plug comes out far enough to lose contact with constant or switched power. Since you say the speaker is the first thing to go out, it should play longer if you were using amps.
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
why not just use a little hot glue to affix the plug in place. or try the usual places for alpine parts and buy a new darn plug. not exactly rocket surgery or brain science
kitt350 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Its not the plug but the brain.  Where the plug goes into the brain, that part that is suppose to be there for the plug to clip to to hold it in is gone.  The button on the plug to hold it in is there just there is nothing on the brain for it to connect to.  The brain is a lot more expensive than the plug.  I am wanting to put the amp in my car so I don't want to buy more parts than I need.  If wiring it through and amp will work then I will go that way.  I guess I will just have to get the amp and see if it works.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic