icon

2002 honda accord ex, alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hondaspeed 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2008 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone.  I just installed a Kenwood DDX812 stereo into my 2002 Honda Accord coupe.  Now I'm beginning to get a little paranoid that I should upgrade the stock alarm (it's a 4-cylinder 2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image. EX model).  I'm trying to research possible condidates and am very confused.  I'm wondering what brands/models you guys can recommend. (??) 

I'm open on features, but I would like the following:

o ability to install now but bring car back to stock alarm easily when I sell.

o a "soft chirp" confirmation been (nothing loud)

o remote start capabilities (I do have an automatic... 2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image. again)

o 2-way communication so I can monitor it for a good distance.

I'd love to pay under $200 for the whole thing (w/modules needed, etc.) but will of course go higher as necessary.  This is something I plan to install myself... I've installed a few alarms and remote starts in the past.

Thanks very much for your time and any suggestions you might have!

2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image.

2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image.

...HondaSpeed...
hondaspeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone.  Really hoping i get some help/replies with this post.  I'm getting ready to order an alarm for my 2002 Honda Accord EX, 4 cylinder, coupe.  I am pretty sure I'm going with the Viper 791XV (or the Viper 5900 maybe if I am sure I won't need to purchase a lot of extra modules--trying to stay at my $200 budget.

That being said:

1. I'm curious if anyone would suggest a different alarm?  I want 2-way communication, (preferably 2) LED remote, remote start, soft-chirp confirmation (I think both Vipers have this) and the ability to still have my door lock/unlock and truck pop.  I wanted a glass break sensor but I guess the Viper just gives you a shock sensor that should cover glass breaks.

2. On my EX model I have the key immobilizer.  A store I talked to told me I would "lose a key" because they put the chip near the computer when they install starts.  I really don't want to do this.  I would like to just be able to "trick" the system for the purpose of the remote start, but still have the key sensor active normally.  Is this possible with a bypass unit?  I saw some model #'s of ones in the wiring section, but am not sure of a good vendor to order from.  Ideas?

3. I'm pretty comfortable with all the wiring, but it has been a long time since I did a alarm/started (10+ years!).  Any caveats I should be aware of?  Any chance anyone knows of a site that documents a similar install with photos? 

Thanks everyone... i realize this is a rather long post!

...HondaSpeed...
hondaspeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

OK.  Me again 2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image.  I'm guessing my last post was kind of overhwhelming.  I've been searching forums and different vendors and now I'm getting overwhelmed with the who bypass thing.

1. If I go with the Viper, what is the best bypass module to use?  I checked the application guide and there are quite a few apparently.  I prefer the type I don't have to lose a key with.

2. Am I getting myself into a sticky install that I should be aware of before I get going?

3. Are there any other alarms I should consider for the same or less money than the Viper?  I realize now I need a bypass module that will likely be at least $60.  So, I would like to get an alarm for around $140 or less (uninstalled).

Thanks very much.  I hope my questions are clearer now and don't scare responders away! :)

...HondaSpeed...
hondaspeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2008 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
I guess this is my own little thread! <grin> <frown>
I've been researching immobilizer bypass units for my car and am even more confused than when I started. I don't want to use a key for a variety of reasons. One installer told me of someone who did $900 of damage to their car programming one. :/
What is the best (ie- easiest to install) immobilizer for this type of car? Also, do I need the lock module build in or will I be able to just use the alarm outputs since everything is power now?
Thanks
...HondaSpeed...
hondaspeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2008 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone. I've been conducting my own little thread (https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~106533~PN~1) since no one has replied yet 2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image.
I'm pretty much ready to purchase a Viper 791xv. I wanted the 5900 for the 1-mile range, but I just can't keep it under $200 with the bypass sensor and glass break sensor. Anyway, once I order, I'll need a good supply of splice and male & female connectors. Wondering who the best source is for good quality items?
I typically solder what I can in my auto installs, but I figure connectors will be the way to go for my alarm/remote start install. I'm very open to any advice/help anyone wants to give. Thanks.
...HondaSpeed...
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2008 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Then continue soldering all your connections.   I Have no idea how you can get all those things that you need under 200.  More like 300 for the 5900.  Not even a dealer would be able to get it at that price.
hondaspeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2008 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
I reread my post and it wasn't right. I realize the glass sensor will be above and beyond my budget. Right now I'm leaning towards a Viper 791xv for $140 and the Directed 555h bypass unit for around another $35. I will probably opt for the tilt sensor now too and then wait on the glass sensor till I get a bit more $$$.
...HondaSpeed...
hondaspeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I read another thread where someone said they liked the XK05 bypass module over the 556h. I was just about to buy a 556h one for an upcoming Viper 5900 install. (Because I had seen the manual for it.) But, the place where I'm getting only sells the XK05....
I'm wondering if anyone can explain the difference to me between these modules. Both are apparently programmable bypass units that will work with my '02 Honda Accord and not permanently sacrifice a key. If that's true, what's the difference? (I've had a little alarm install experience, but am by no means an expert.)
Thanks
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2008 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Wow that's helpful Murph! I've got some reading to do for sure now! Glad I just paid for standard ground shipping and didn't try to rush the order to make it here by the weekend! 2002 honda accord ex, alarm -- posted image.
...HondaSpeed...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic