icon

smoke, fire, what happened?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rtz549 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
smoke, fire, what happened? -- posted image.
rtz549 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

`88 Mustang(Auto), Ultra Start 3285

http://www.ultrastarters.com/products/3285_XRPRO.html 

http://www.ultrastarters.com/manuals.html

I hooked up the remote start and it works great.  Went and got two relays to be able to remotely open the driver door lock.

I'm under the impression this is the correct diagram from the manual for this model vehicle and style locks?

smoke, fire, what happened? -- posted image.

# 30 is ground right?  One thing I did was daisy chained the grounds together, and the positives together.

There are only so many wires coming out of the door so I am near certain I got the right two as there weren't any "maybe it's that one".

I hooked it up, pressed the unlock button, remote played music, heard usual noises from remote start box, then the hot wire going to the relays starts to smoke and catches fire.  Unhooked it.

Everything appears to still work.

Did the unlock part of the box likely get cooked?  How can I test to see if it's still good?

What likely happened?

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Your images do not work. 30 is definitely not ground. You need to cut the factory lock wires in the car. One side goes to 30, the other side goes to 87a. 87 and 86 get constant power, 85 gets the (-) trigger from the Ultrastart. You do not ground anything.
You need to be testing wires with a meter, not just hooking up wires that "look right".
Twist the factory wires back together and make sure your door locks still work. Find the wire you think is "lock". It should jump to about 12v when you hit lock on the door switch. Cut that wire. Put your meter to one side of the cut wire. Hold "lock" on the door (the door locks should not do anything). Did the meter jump to +12v? If yes, connect it to 87a of your lock relay. If not, connect it to 30. Test the other half of the cut wire, it will test the opposite. Connect 87 and 86 to FUSED constant power. A 10 amp fuse will be fine. 85 to the "lock" output of the Ultrastart.
Repeat for the unlock wire, using a different relay of course.
rtz549 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Direct link to it:  https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2091/wirezm7.jpg 

The diagram makes perfect sense to me now after you explained it.  Thanks very much.

I used T-Taps so I didn't have to butcher the wiring so nothing is cut and the factory locks still work.  I just wonder if the ultra start is fine? Could it survive that?

I had the relays getting power from the yellow wire in the column.  I had a 16 gauge wire connecting them to the power.

So basically the relays hooked that hot wire to ground and starting draining the battery the way I had it hooked up?

I'll get two fresh relays and try again.  Still wish I could test the module to make sure it's ok.  I suppose it should be..

rtz549 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Also my relay wire job looked insane and amature.  How can it be wired up clean considering all the power hook ups?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
Some thoughts:
The factory door lock wires MUST be cut to interface with them properly. They are grounded through the switch when at rest, and if you send 12 volts to them without cutting you've just created a direct short circuit. Get over any hangup you have about cutting factory wiring, because it's necessary in this and many other cases.
Your brain is probably fine as long as you didn't connect its unlock/lock outputs directly to any factory wiring.
T-taps are a poor method of connection. Use butt crimp connectors or strip a bit of the insulation back and solder the wires together.
Your relays are probably fine - it sounds like all you did was cause the short circuit mentioned above, which would indeed start smoking.
As JWorm mentions, the 12 volt input for your relays must be fused.
For clean looking relays the easiest option is to buy them with harnesses. If you've had to use individual spade terminals that's fine, wrap each terminal with tape on the outside and then wrap all 5 wires as a group.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Smoke, fire, what happened..... A very eye catching subject....smoke, fire, what happened? -- posted image.
rtz549 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

The situation went from that initial close call to bad.  It's worse off now then it was.

I got two fresh relays as I didn't trust those first two after what they'd been through.

I wired it up exactly like the diagram shows.

I cut the two wires as directed on this site.  Tested each end with the meter while holding down the lock/unlock button.

Plugged in the hot wire last, instantly started to melt.  Unplugged it.

Hooked back up one of the power door lock wires.  Started to hook up the other one, it starts triggering the lock when it's connected and won't stop.

Passenger side works on the lock feature.  Driver side button feels stuck.  It won't move.  What the heck happened to it?

How in the world could this setup have failed like it did the second time?

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

I cut the two wires as directed on this site.  Tested each end with the meter while holding down the lock/unlock button

what color wires are you using from the cars? are they tested before using? if so how?

rtz549 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

It was the Pink / YELLOW and Pink/Light Green .

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/890.html 

Now that I think about it....  I was only planning on wiring up the driver door so I didn't needlessly wear out the passenger door lock actuator.  The P side was still hooked up and untouched.

Could that have been what caused the problem?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic