icon

viper alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gadunk 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

So my main question, how do you test a receiver/antenna?  Backstory.... I have a Viper 791xv, the 1st version with the "P" button on the back.  Lately it has not be working at all.  All the buttons dont do anything....  ie. when i put the arm button, i see on the transmitter that the signal is being sent TX but the RX (receiving of the signal doesnt show) then i get 3 beeps after it not receiving.  So i'm thinking that the antenna is not receiving the signal from the remote.  I have tried new batteries in the remort, and re-syning the alarm.  So safe to say its the antenna???? and can i check to be sure somehow???

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2008 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

double check that is plugged in all the way, I've seen this before where the antenna just becomes slightly unplugged. these remote are all also known to "go bad" due to weak soldering points inside. the remote with the p button in the back is actually the second gen, the first didn't have that button.

MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
gadunk 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2008 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
so i checked and it is all the way plugged in.  So there is a chance that the remote itself is bad even with it show that its sending the signal?  Is there anything i can do to test this stuff or am i just going to have to bring it into a shop and be at their mercy???
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

it could definately be bad, like I said, the 791 remotes have been known to have issues, the mile range ones seem to have been improved, but the 1/4mile ones like yours are notorious for bad soldering points. If you want to check the solder points yourself, pop off the battery cover, take it off, and take off the screws hidden in there, should be one or two from what I remember. take the casing off and you'll see that there will be two circuit boards that "plug" into one another. the plugs on each board have solder points and sometimes one will completely come off, or have some loose points that will need to be resoldered. this can be repaired easily if you have a fine soldering iron and a steady hand.

some common symptoms of this failure can be the remote saying tx but nothing ever being sent to or received by the car

the remote showing tx, the car performs the function, but the remote beeps in series like if it was out of range or did not receive confirmation
loss of sounds
temporary loss of sounds/tx/rx signals

just to name a few.

MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2008 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

try unplugging the antenna for a few minutes and then plug it back in and it will re-synch... this may correct your problem.... i had my old 791 series unit do that a few times.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic