Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

amp cuts out when i:

hit brake pedal OR

turn on electric fans OR

turn on compressor OR

turn on a/c OR

turn volume to loud (with gain turned almost all the way down and/or set properly)

i have a red top under hood, a 280 amp alt., big 3, and kinetik 2400

running a hk4000d (i know these are power hungry, but not that much?) to a 18" fi btl(full loaded), all 1/0 gauge, knukonceptz rca's, jensen in-dash(vm9412)

thought it was rca's, changed them, still does it

so its either headunit rca signal(volts) or the amp

any help appreciated, been having problem awhile and just want to get it figured out!

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
um...have you verified your grounds and the voltage at the amp???
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
My money is on the amp or as stated above, the power supply to the amp.  You will have to get a volt meter and check the voltage across the power and ground terminals of the amp.  When testing this you MUST have the amplifier playing at the level that makes it shut off.  Let us know what you find out.
badasschevillac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

thanks, i believe i've tried that but not at the volume that it cuts out at, the voltage read out on the amp is at 13.8-14.0 volts when cutting out, but i'll check at the terminal on the amp with a meter.

i have the kinetik grounded to a big seatbelt bolt, i might try and change that to see if that might be a factor. should i go to the frame or the cab? im thinking the frame cuz its pretty much on the cab now.

UPDATE: sometimes the bass doesnt even come on to begin with, even with the amp on and showing 14.0 volts! something in the amp maybe...with signal?

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of head unit are you running.....factory or aftermarket?  And where is your remote wire hooked up to?
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
badasschevillac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

jensen vm9412 in-dash, my remote comes from the headunit to the amp

UPDATE: ok i checked the positive input on the amp when the bass cuts out with a meter and doesnt even drop below 14.0, actual reading is around14.04-14.08

have not tried switching my ground yet, will try and do that today

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
If you had your black meter lead on the actual ground terminal of your amplifier, there is no need to move your ground.  However if you had the black lead on the chassis of your car, moving it may help you. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Bad amp or bad head unit (Jensen is pure crap and often defective) or you have an electrical problem in the car.  It is also possible your HU hookup is wrong.  Are any fuses blowing anywhere?
Support the12volt.com
badasschevillac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

yea i just put my black meter lead to where the kinetik is grounded to(big seatbelt bolt) i'll try putting lead to the ground terminal of the amp. and if i have voltage drop then does that mean a bad ground?

yea i was thinking the headunit might be bad, like the rca line output level, but i had a system previously hooked up in this truck and it was fine. i might try running some long rca's to a friends headunit in another vehicle to see what that does.

when this problem first started i bought a second amp thinking it was the amp, so i'll try the other amp and see if it still does it.

and i was also thinking i might have an electrical problem too, i just dont know what it could be and no fuses are blowing anywhere(that i know of) like nothing has stopped working.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Move your ground.  Seat belt bolts are one of the worst possible locations for a ground wire as they generally are nuts welded to the body and use hardened bolts.  Not saying that's your problem, but bad grounds can cause all sorts of strange issues.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic