icon

fuse or breaker?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheDouche 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok self explanatory. ANL fuse or circuit breaker for main harness feed(18" from batt one) what are the benefits or down falls of each?
so im looking to throw a Elemental Design NINe.1 into my truck(thats all nothing else) with a 1 fared cap to power a sub. any recommendations on fuse size or circuit breaker size and which would be better?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

I can't tell you what  you should fuse the amp at, but I can tell you that a circuit breaker will only be trouble down the road.  An ANL fuse would be a much better choice.  Breakers depend on heat to determine how much current is going through the device.  Engine heat added to the heat of the contacts usually shorten the life of the breaker.  Does the amp have fuses mounted to the end of it?  If so, the fuses in the amp should protect the amp.  The fuse under the hood is there to protect the wire going to the amp.  An 8 Ga. wire has a safe current handling capacity of 100 amps.  A 4 Ga. wire is capable of carrying 150 amps.   2 Ga. = 225 amps.  If the amp has no fuses mounted on it, you will need to do some more research to find out what it needs to be fused at.

TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
ok so thats a 1000 watt amp and is gunna go about 17' from the batt so i was thinking to just run 4awg to the amp and use one anl fuse then. is that enough?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
wow so I should be running a 0awg wire with a 160amp fuse in it then? Seams a bit much for one amp no?
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
k so as far as fusing it I'm only using the 18" batt fuse for the wire not the amp?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Does the amp have any fuses mounted to the end of it?????
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
4-AWG fused at the battery at 150A is what you need.  Also 4AWG ground.  Yes, you fuse for the wire unless the amplifier needs an external fuse also.
Support the12volt.com
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
yeah there are fuses on the side of the amp. Wow this just totally cleared things up for me. Thanks guys
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: August 18, 2008 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

A lot of people on here will recomend fusing the wire with the maximum size fuse that the wire can handle.  However, it is much safer to fuse the wire for the maximum current YOUR system requires.  Every fuse  has a rated time delay before it blows - the bigger the fuse, the longer the time needed above the rated current before it will open up.  If you are running a 4 awg wire but your amp only has (3) 30A fuses in the side of it there is no point to use a 150A fuse when 90A is all you are going to pull. 

My point is, if you are only going to pull X amps, you don't need an X + 50 amp fuse protecting the wire.  The bigger the current the more important this becomes.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic