icon

poor picture with plug in video games

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aviator2005 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
I have 4 9.2 inch headrest monitors conected to a pioneer avicd3 and each monitor has its own plug n play video games system. Heres the issue, when i play a dvd on the avic to the headrest monitors everything is perfect. However when i turn on the video game system the picture starts to roll. I first thought i was getting interference from my power source (ignition at the column) so i wired in a relay to power the headrest screen directly from the battery. The interference is there even when the vehicle is not running and does not get worse when it is running. The install is in a 2005 lincoln aviator and the video game systems run on 4 aa batteries.Has anyone ever come accross this problem before? Any help would be appreciated. Also if i plug the game system into the factory overhead screen it works flawless! Thanks
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  
Are you plugging the games into an input on the AVIC or are you plugging it into one of the headrest monitors directly?
aviator2005 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

The games are plugged into the monitors directly.

Thanks

Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
What's the brand name of your HRMs? Since it is ONLY those, ONLY with the games, I really want to believe that it could be that. Possibly an incompatibility between the two.
You didn't say whether you have plugged the game into aux of the AVIC. If you do that, and everything works, then I would start to lean toward the games themselves. It is possible that the HRMs want a stronger signal than the handheld game is supplying. Yes, the overhead works, but that is very likely a completely different manufacturer with completely different specs.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aviator2005 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

The screens are 9.2 inch specmans (by savv) My overhead is factory and the games work fine on that. Also the games on the avic is fine as well. The game system are sega genesis plug and plays that operate on 4 aa batteries.

If what your saying is true about the headrest wanting to see a stronger signal would a video amp do the trick?

Also how common is this incompatibilty between games and screens? Do you see alot of it?

Thanks
diagnall 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
The game system your using has a low video signal output. Turn off or disconnect one or two of your monitors as a test and you'll find the signal improves. this is why the dvd has no issues and this game does...
n2ixk 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
A standard composite video output is meant to drive a 75 ohm termination, such as a monitor. If you are connecting 2 monitors in parallel to a single output, you may be overloading the output, because the load impedance drops to 37.5 ohms.
Better quality video monitors will have a switch to turn the internal 75 ohm termination on or off. If you have multiple monitors on a single line, the termination on all of them should be OFF, except for the one at the end of the line (farthest from the source).
If your monitors do not have these switches, you will need to feed the game video into a device called a "distribution amplifier" or "DA", and feed each monitor from a separate output from the DA. If you are good with soldering, and don't mind working on the internals of the monitors, you MAY be able to remove the internal termination resistor from one of the units. It would be a 75 ohm resistor connected directly across the input video signal.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic