icon

2001 chevy malibu trunk trigger issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aviator2005 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a code alarm ca310 ( a add on alarm to factory keyless entry)  system in a 2001 malibu after about an hour when the system is disarmed the horn sounds 4 times indicating the system was triggered. Heres the strange part I tied in the hood and trunk inputs together. For the hood i used a dei roll ball tilt switch and for the trunk i tied in to the light. After an hour when disarmed the system chirps 4 times indicating is was triggered but it never actuallly sounds the alarm. I've witnessed this several times and diode isolated the hood and trunk. I also tried isolating the trunk input wire with a relay but still no success. If i disconnet the trunk trigger wire no problem at all. Is there something funky with the trunk pin in this vehicle? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Thanks
audioinstaller3 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
You should have the -ORANGE / black wire for trunk trigger at the trunk light tagged. It should be connected to your -blue trigger input wire on your alarm. Diode isolate it from the hood pin wire(mercury switch you installed). Maybe your trunk pin is defective.
aviator2005 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

I tried that with no luck.

Does anyone know if there is anything funky with this vehicles trunk light as far as using it for a trigger?

Thanks

Thanks
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
This has been on the forums before (like a few years ago), but the people who make the wiring sheets haven't bothered themselves to correct the information.
The BCM in that car sends small ground pulses down the trunk trigger wire after the BCM goes to sleep.
The signal isn't strong enough to turn on the trunk light, but it is strong enough to false the alarm.
If you diode isolate the wire, all will be well.
Take the Malibu's wire, and cut it in half. Connect a diode to the two halves.
You should have the diode's band on the "trunk" side of the wire, the one that's going to the switch in the back of the car.
The side of the diode without the band, should be connected to the "BCM" side of the wire, the one that's going toward the cars' BCM somewhere in the dashboard.
Also, connect the Code Alarm's trunk-trigger wire to the "trunk" side of the wire you cut, that is, on the "band" side of the diode.
Now, only the trunk switch can trigger the alarm. The diode will block the signals from the BCM.
aviator2005 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

Is this still true even though i isolated the trunk input with a relay?

Chris are you still active on the directechs forum as well?

Thanks

Thanks
Chris Luongo 
Posted: August 25, 2008 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
aviator,
I only fixed one of those Malibus where I work, but I remembered it well because I heard the car had already been back a few times.
I never did try the relay trick (like on Fords), I just put the inline diode, and the car never came back again.
So on the Fords, right, the idea is that the pulses coming down the domelight wire aren't quite strong enough to trigger the relay, right? So that way the alarm won't false.
Well, maybe on this GM, the pulses are a little stronger, and they're turning the relay on.
I did also remember an Impala, where the installer somehow had a relay tied into the underdash courtesy light. The alarm worked fine, but the car's BCM wasn't allowed to go to sleep, and the battery kept dying.
By the way, you're in Rhode Island? Whereabouts? I'm just a little bit north of Boston.
Chris Luongo 
Posted: August 25, 2008 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
And no, I haven't been on the Directed forum for a while, since I don't have a password anymore. Once in a while, if I pass by a computer somewhere that's already logged in, I take a look.
aviator2005 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

Chris

I work for Sylvester Electronics in Cumberland R.I. What shop do you work for?

Its nice to hear from a local!

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic