icon

mecp installer vs not mecp installer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2008 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I was having a discussion with a few installers and non installers and the topic is weither someone would let someone touch their car without the certification but had a good record and pics to support their work. The main issue is they don't have it so they don't know what they are doing, but its a good thing to have but then at the same time anyone can pass a test. So what do you all think
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

I was never MECP certified when I was installing and I would much rather let myself (or someone of my skill set) touch a car then some of the MECP certified people I worked with.  Getting the certification doesn't really mean anything, unfortunately.

At the end of the day, when I'm going to let someone work on my car I like to talk to that person, get a feel for what they're going to do, and try to figure out how knowledgeable they are.  If I'm not happy with the technician I leave.  I don't care what the papers hanging on the wall say, if I don't think the guy/girl is capable of working on my car I don't let them.

Now, if MECP positioned themselves to be liable for any mistakes an MECP certified technician made then I might have different feelings, but at the end of the day the MECP board has NO accountability for what their "certified" installers are doing.

Kevin Pierson
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2008 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I agree wit you bout a piece of papr doesn't mean anything but some people are anal when they want something done to their car and you tell them you aren't certififed as well as establishments they won't hire you if you don't have it. I guess its for insurance purposes. But you have those that are certified did good clean work till they got it and now just half step their work and don't care so if I can do the work myself I would but if not 9 times out of 10 ill go online figure out how cause shops see you pull in with a decent sound system and the get greedy and try to make up stuff for u to buy.
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2008 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

If you have a good portfolio and are knowledgable no shop is going to turn you down for a job just because you aren't certified.  If they require MECP certification they will hire you with the condition that you get certified within x months.  A good shop would also pay for the test as well.  But a shop won't pass on a good installer just because they arn't certified.

I had never had a customer ask me if I was certified or whatnot.  I guess MECP is getting bigger over the years so maybe more customers are aware that it exists.

Kevin Pierson
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
That's true too I know best buy 2 requirements is a mecp and a valid drivers l, but never applied I was leaning to toward that as a potiental career path and I know this site has years and generation of experenice and tricks that you can't learn from a book. Which I pefer experenice over a book. I plan to get more experenice and some more time under my belt before I put my self out there as an installer . I can come up with some unquie stuff its just that I need to work on being perfect and not doing too many things at once . But a mecp would be nice to have its 4 levels of it I believe but like you said people don't ask if they don't kno and if you have a pretty picture of your work and your shop stays full they don't ask word of mouth is your certication
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2008 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
I am glad I went to school and took the MECP test, but your right nothing beats first hand experience. Some people in class just wanted the title, some hadn't ever installed anything, and some were scary to think about working on vehicles. Like anything, MECP's have paper to say they can do the work, but the work they do speaks more volume as to their abilities.
Like I said, I am glad I did it, I learned plenty, but nothing has really changed the level of work I do (which I think is clean.)
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2008 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Still_walkin, you should get a job at a Big Box store such as Best Buy.  Hands down, it's the best way to get into the business, unless you have a connection with a good independent bay that is willing to train.  Here's how I see it;  They are willing to train you, pay for your mistakes, and pay for your MECP certification.  Granted they will only pay for only so many mistakes, but you won't have that gorilla on your back trying to be so careful that you make more mistakes.

As far as the MECP certification goes, I got my First Class certification while I was with Best Buy only because it gave me pay increases.  I learned a few things (just what IS Mu-metal!??!), but nothing that changed the course of my install career.  My customers have NEVER asked if I was certified, what MECP was, or anything remotely close to certification.  The only thing my customers notice, or ask for, is the install gaurantee, which is set by the policies of the install bay, or company, I work for.  MECP certification will never dictate the install gaurantee of a shop.

Oh and I am going for my master's cert.  just because it would be cool to be considered part of the Elite, as least on paper. lol

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
True I do need a gorilla on my back but that's why I'm always on this site. Truth be told i ve done my car and its halfway complete I redid the trunk twice and the interior after finishing it I realized that the center counsule needs to be smaller and the headrest as well. I done basic installs 1 reveiver sub box and a amp. Those are simple but what I've done to my car I added tons of stuff and converted stuff to have buttons and stuff . *EDIT*
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I always tell people to get a job at a big box if they have no experience. Its a good way to at least learn the basics and then learn how cars come apart. If you had to choose I would go with best buy as they are more hardcore about training.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
So what you all think of my work
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova