icon

home audio sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioinstaller3 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Well I know this is for car audio, but maybe someone knows. I replaced my kenwood 10" Sub. From my 5.1 surround sound system. The Kenwood receiver doesn't have a sub output. So I have it hooked up bridged to one set of the speakers. Is their a way for me to make the sub only play bass? and not play everything like voices? Could I use a resistor or something?
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

audioinstaller3 wrote:
So I have it hooked up bridged to one set of the speakers.

If you are talking about bridging the speaker outputs from a home audio receiver, it is not designed for that and will soon fail.  I am not sure I completely understand your situation... your home theater subwoofer blew and you want to replace it?

Support the12volt.com
audioinstaller3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so I guess I will go to radioshack to get a coil. Thanks.
Dyohn. I did replace my sub, the other ones rubber part ripped off. But on my reciever it only has 4 speaker inputs. so on the front speakers I have 2 front speakers and a center channel bridged to it. and for the rear I have 2 rear speakers and the sub bridged to it. It's kinda crappy, but sounds alright. I was just looking for a way to filter the sub,so it   only plays bass notes and not high freq.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
But on my reciever it only has 4 speaker inputs. so on the front speakers I have 2 front speakers and a center channel bridged to it. and for the rear I have 2 rear speakers and the sub bridged to it.
You meant speaker outputs. The Coil isn't going to help anything. The center speaker you have connected is nothing but another load on channels that cannot be bridged together! Same with the rear, you can't do what you are attempting without blowing up something. You need a proper 5.1 surround receiver to accomplish your goal.
with the ID as "audioinstaller3" you should know this.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
well it could be "commercial_airport_PA_audioinstaller3"... or "windows_mediaplayer_audioinstaller3"
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
"well it could be "commercial_airport_PA_audioinstaller3"... or "windows_mediaplayer_audioinstaller3"
Even if he was an ""commercial_airport_PA_audioinstaller3be " this would still be need to know info.
Read his other posts, it will make sense.
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Well Megaman, in audioinstaller's own words:
I'm an experienced installer in the Brandon Fl area. I've done everything, mostly alarms, amps, subs, spkrs, cd players, dvd in dash and overhead, even tint.
audioinstaller3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't say I was a home audio expert. I really just wondered if their was a way to set up the sub to only play bass in my home theater system. I will find a way, even if you guys don't know how. So thanks for the smart remarks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

audioinstaller3 wrote:
Ok so I guess I will go to radioshack to get a coil. Thanks.
Dyohn. I did replace my sub, the other ones rubber part ripped off. But on my reciever it only has 4 speaker inputs. so on the front speakers I have 2 front speakers and a center channel bridged to it. and for the rear I have 2 rear speakers and the sub bridged to it. It's kinda crappy, but sounds alright. I was just looking for a way to filter the sub,so it   only plays bass notes and not high freq.

I highly recommend not using your receiver that way as it is not designed for that.  It sounds like a 4-channel stereo receiver, not one designed for home theater.  Pick up a cheap 5.1 HT receiver and you will be much happier with the results.  As for the subwoofer, just like in car audio the sub needs its own amplifier.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic