icon

can u make a 2 wire led as brite as a 3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
metal_mulisha 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

Is it possible to make a 2 Wire Led Light as Bright as a 3 wire? I picked up a set of led strips im using for turn signals, and they are 3 wire. The white wire is normal I guess and the red wire is like 2 or 3x brighter. I also picked up a set of 2" LED Marker lights, but they are only 2 wire, and are just as bright as my led strips in the normal state... I want to know if I can either turn it into a 3 wire, or some how atleast make it just as bright as a 3 wire led...

Anybody have any ideas? And I would just go buy a 3 wire light, but I couldnt find any.

Thanks.

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2008 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
The two diiferent wires have two different resistances to control the current.  Higher resistance, less current, less bright.  Lower resistance, Higher current, brighter LED's.
metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Okayyyy, so how do I turn a simple LED with 1 positive & 1 Negative, into 2 positives ( High & Low Resistance ) and a ground wire? Each Light has 9 individual LEDS inside of em.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
As far as I know, LEDs operate in a narrow voltage range. Meaning if the circuit is to receive 12v, it will either have to divide the voltage across all the LEDs or it must reduce the voltage before it gets to the LEDs. I would guess the 9 LEDs are in series and each LED sees only 1.33v. If you reduce the voltage to 10v, each LED will see 1.11v. If they would still light would be the question.
I don't know enough about voltage dividing yet to say for sure, but I would think you would have to put in a resistor inline. I might experiment with a pot before trying resistors, or you can get the resistance of the lamp and figure it out with ohms law.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

The LED's would not be in series.  If one went out, they would all go out.  In a parrallel configuration, you can use different resistances to get different brightness levels.

As far as the circuit goes, there's many ways to skin a cat.

metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds too confusing for me. Hahaha,, think I might ust live with the 2 wire, lol thanks tho.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic