icon

passlock 2 problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crooks 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2008 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I am new to this forum and hope this is in the right spot.
I would like to find a way or someone to disable my passlock 2 on my 2001 chevy 1500.
My security light flashes and my truck will fire for a sec then shut off. I only have this problem intermittently but my security light is on almost always when I drive the truck. If I leave the key in the on position for ten minutes it usually will start after that.
brackround: I bought the truck new and had a viper remote start put on int he first month after about six months this happened once. It then happened a couple more times becomeing more frequent over the next two years. I then had the alarm and remote start removed. It has steadily gotten worse and now security light is on all the time and the truck doesnt start about every two weeks.
If anyone around northern IL can help that would be great or if someone can let me know of a good permanent way to bypass or get rid of the passlock2 all together that would be great. I have read lots of ways to fix this but would like to know which is best for me.
Thanks Matt
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
First off, what brand bypass module is it?
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to add that I honestly dont think you can permanently disable the passlock. The passlock is there to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle without having the key. From reading your siuation, it sounds like the resistance code is falsing. Everytime the ignition is turned to start the engine, their is a code "resistance" that is sent to the passlock. If the code is correct, the engine will turn on and stay running. If the code is wrong, the engine will try to start but wont and then will enter a anti-tamper mode. This works the same way with bypass modules. They will learn the resistance code and then everytime the vehicle is remote started, that code is sent to the passlock (making it think the key was in the ignition and turned on). So it sounds to me that when the alarm system was removed, something wasnt done properly, which messed up the passlock. The only way to get that fixed is to take it to a dealership.
crooks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your reponse.
I am not sure of the module I do have the alarm and everything somewhere. I can dig it up if needed.
Man the dealers around here suck and dont have a clue about my problem. They also want $75 an hour to dig around and arent even sure the y will find the problem.
Cutting the yellow wire, adding a resistor, or adding a new module wont work for me? I was hopping some one would let me know which one of these options would work best for me. Or how to disable/ remove it all together.
jmsounds 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

i fix a similar problem on a cadillac u could turn the car on but sec light stay on  the problem was the wires going to the ecm were cross  check the wires someshops will cut some wires to install bypass

and to bypass the resistor like everyone says if you bypass anybody can still your car if you are good with the meter you could read the value of the resistor and put a permanent resistor

noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
If you know where the bypass module was installed at, you could check that location to see if the wires are connected properly. I think you have a loose connection, because of the fact that the vehicle sometimes doesnt want to start. The fact that the security light is on though means that 1 wire is not connected period. I know on my 02 cavalier, the resistance wires for the passlock are in the steering columnright at the ignition switch. You could check there to see if those wires are connected properly. If your truck and my car were done the same way, there should be grey electrical tape around 3 wires. If I recall the wires are black, yellow, and white. Does your truck by any chance have a factory alarm system/keyless entry?
crooks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it does have a factory alarm with keyless entry
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Dittoes on what noobie4life is saying. I'm very well suspecting that the remote start/alarm was poorly installed along with its required bypass module, and also poorly removed which is resulting in your ongoing problems. More specifically:
There are 3 Passlock wires from the key cylinder to the Body Control Module; ORANGE / black ground reference, RED / white 12 volt reference, and yellow resistance code signal (these colors are for GM trucks only).
Most bypass modules for Passlock II, especially those made when your truck was brand new, require that the yellow Passlock wire be cut and connected to 2 separate wires from the bypass module.
If this shop was cutting corners like many do, they would have just twisted and taped the wires together during the install as well as when they were removed.
Solving your intermittent problem may be as simple as following those 3 wires from the key cylinder down the steering column and looking for where they are broken or taped together, and then soldering them back for a better connection.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
crooks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so I will remove the panel below the dash and open up the steering column? Then trace the yellow wire to find where it was cut. Any tips on opening the column or any thing else?
Thank you
Matt
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
could also be a fault in the ignition cylinder, gm has a known issue with ignition system failures whether remote start installed or not where tumblers get worn down over time and send false reading to bcm, either replace igniton assembly and relearn new code to bcm or, when truck will start without light coming on, set parking brake put truck in reverse,cut yellow wire and place meter positive on key side of yellow wire&ground lead to orange black, turn key to crank position and hold to get resistance read, place a resistor of that same value between org/black wire and body side of yellow wire, tape up &leave keyside of yellow wire unconnected now truck will always see the code from resistor you installed soaccuracy of r-value is important be as close as possible
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic