the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how to get more db

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

the fat kid wrote:
well ive had it for 5 or 6 months ,and im not deaf, and i was noticing that the db drag race numbers are around 145 idk just wondering if  i could get closer to that, and fyi, the interior sound of my truck is at 83db with nothing on,just ac and windows up, hope i dont go deaf from that.

If your vehicle produces 83db with just the a/c on and the windows rolled up, you need a muffler.  And although 85 is generally considered the magic number to be dangerous, you could go deaf from 83db (although it would probably take about 16 hours continuous exposure to cause hearing damage.)  The point I am making is 130db is louder than you need daily driver levels to be, so it sounds like unless you are competing (or, like others have said, are involved in "mine is bigger" contests with other kids in your area) then you are plenty loud.  The cost of getting louder is high, although not just money, it is also in modifying your vehicle or giving up things like baby seat space.  (BTW, a baby's hearing could be damaged by 83db MUCH faster than yours.)  Perhaps these web sites might help you: 

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm
http://www.shurenotes.com/issue8/article.asp?flash=true
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2749.html

Support the12volt.com
theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
No offense but he came asking if there are any ways to make his system louder not for us to give him a lecture about his personal life. Im sure everyone knows that high decibel levels cause hearing damage. that doesnt stop people from building systems in excess of 150db.
To answer your question 140dbs isnt as hard as it seems when in a car especially a hatchback. Im hitting 145.5 dbs with one 15. But in your case trying to hit 140 dbs in a truck could significantly be tougher. If it was me i would would try and fit two or possibly three twelves with a little bit more power. Ported box tuned to around 35-40hz. As stated earlier SPL can be very tricky. test, test, and retest.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, well, anyone who talks about wanting to get to 140db in a vehicle that they also use to carry a child in a baby seat needs to be educated about hearing damage due to excessive noise.  A kid deserves to make its own decision about going deaf, not have it forced on them by their parent.  how to get more db - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

How many installers or salesmen tell these kids that this systems they have just sold them could cause them

to have hearing loss. None Everyone asumes you know this. But alot of kids do not. DYohn is not scoldin' him

just informing him

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Yes, well, anyone who talks about wanting to get to 140db in a vehicle that they also use to carry a child in a baby seat needs to be educated about hearing damage due to excessive noise.  A kid deserves to make its own decision about going deaf, not have it forced on them by their parent.  how to get more db - Page 2 -- posted image.

i know your a mod and try and not take this the wrong way but really terminator hit it on the head, the car seat goes in when i take the other "family" truck to hauld my fourwheeler around, and im not a retard i know im going deaf and i listen to sports radio when my sons in the car, now if that satisfys the child protective service here thanks on the replys, the truck is getting lowered and (fingers crossed) shaved this winter and i was kinda thinkin if i think it looks good enough i might try to dabble in the show scene that being the case i was just wondering if i could go louder without anythign drastic being done, cause i still (sometimes) have to put a car seat in there if the wife is driving it.

and the 130db better than everyone thing, why cant someone just have one that loud cause thats what theyre into, ive had subs in every car ive had since i was 15, i finally make enough money to do something that i really want to do and im getting flamed for it, from a moderator on a car audio forum no less.

oh and i do have muffler a flowmaster 50hd and gibson headers, it could be an inacurate meter idk but at 2000 rpm windows up it says right around 80db

the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

i guess you cant edit these, but anywasy i really do want to thank you all for the information./

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic