icon

stereo problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dscyth3 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I purchased a JVC KD-G720 head unit and box last year in december. Today while out driving I think the box overheated. I have a noisy engine so the volume is always cranked to about 27-30. Now for some reason when I push it to that point the stereo shuts itself down and restarts along with the speakers. Meaning it flashes like it has no power then comes back on. I checked the ground wires and its perfectly grounded. When I play the stereo at a lower volume it works fine, but as soon as I push it to the normal volume where I can acutally hear it, it cuts out. I think the acutal box may be bad not necessarily the head-unit. Is there anyway for me to purchase the box and not the head unit? or can someone tell me what the issue is? Im a computer guy not a car guy.
thanks,
Jason
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
What are you talking about when you say "box"?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dscyth3 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Like the actual CD/Player box. I can disconnect my head unit display. All thats left at that point is the slot for CD's. Is there anyway to just replace that UNIT not the head unit display?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Yes.  The changer (box) is connected to the head unit with a tangle of wires that are called a harness.  You can disconnect that harness.

I doubt that the changer itself is overheating.  The amplifier is in the deck that you surmise to be working correctly.  Give it some time...keep the volume level at a point where it behaves...and see what you want to do from there.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think he's talking about a CD changer.  When a headunit cuts out, it usually means a loose connection, or a blown speaker that is causing the deck to go into protect. 

Maybe a better description of "box' is in order?

dscyth3 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
I checked the wiring over again and the connection in the back of the deck is securely connected. How do I know if its a blown speaker megaman? I mean it works up to a certain point if i keep it at a low volume....
n2ixk 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Does the unit cut out ONLY when playing CDs on the changer, or does it also do it when using the dash CD slot or even the radio?
Unless the problem happens ONLY with the changer, I would suspect a problem with the headunit, a bad wiring connection, or a bad speaker overloading the amplifier.
The quickest way to check for a bad speaker would be to use the fader and balance controls to play each speaker one at a time, and listen for distortion or different sound levels. Test each speaker at a variety of volume levels.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me like your head unit is shutting down.  Could be defective (JVC is not very reliable) or could be a bad speaker.  What speakers are you driving?  What is their impedance?  Have you checked all the speaker wires to make sure nothing has been damaged or is shorting out to the vehicle chassis?
Support the12volt.com
dscyth3 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
I bought a package deal from 4wd. I have a 1970 CJ7 Jeep. The boxes came with 2 speakers and 2 basses. see the information below:
"A unique way of improving overall sound while adding bass to your Jeep! Quad-Pods will enhance your existing audio system by incorporating 6-1/2 speakers in an unexplored area of your vehicle, along with 8 subwoofers to ignite that nagging low-end audio void! The Quad-Pods provide a tidy factory appearance in all CJ7 and Wrangler models. They fasten to the wheel wells and allow uninterrupted use of fold-n-tumble rear seats and soft-top hardware, up or down. The pair of Quad-Pods would come with two 8 Legacy subwoofers, each rated at 400 watts rms and two 6.5 Pyle full-range speakers rated at 180 watts rms. All the speakers feature poly-composite cones to withstand the elements and non-fatiguing rubber surrounds. Instructions, hardware, 8 metal-mesh grilles and fiber-fill are included with each pair of Quad-Pods. Powering the pods with an external amplifier is recommended to experience their full potential!"
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=360&plID=1191&partid=9226
dscyth3 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
It sounds to me like your head unit is shutting down.  Could be defective (JVC is not very reliable) or could be a bad speaker.  What speakers are you driving?  What is their impedance?  Have you checked all the speaker wires to make sure nothing has been damaged or is shorting out to the vehicle chassis?
In case I do end up buying a new head unit, what would you recommend?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic