icon

jvc kd avx33 stays hot when car is off.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ncchance 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  

My apologies for having to repost this after I used word as my editor, force of habit and won't happen again.

I feel like I may have to cut my losses and accept the fact that I got a POS HU, but there may still be some hope if I can borrow some expertise.

I have a JVC KD-AVX33 in my 1996 Honda Accord EX 2.2l. Several times in the recent past my car battery would just die for no apparent reason. After some investigating I came to find out that my HU was the vampire. The heat sink will stay Blazing Hot even when the car is off. I would have thought I could figure this one out, I mean pretty basic right? ACC and +12V constant mixed up? Switch isn't switching for whatever reason? Short in wiring harness? I've checked and checked, taken a step back, and then checked again. I am still scratching my head and I cannot figure this thing out. All I know is I'm not prepared to deal with a HU that continues to drain my battery. I've check many other forums, but I can't seem to find anything close enough to what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking there is a possibility that I got the wrong wiring harness that came with the unit b/c the one pictured on the box is different from the one that I actually received. It still fit so I didn't think much of it. The only difference is what seems to be a black box connected to some of the wiring, it also looks to be something more than just a fuse block, but I can't be sure.

I am running three amps off the remote out lead from the HU, I've read that can place a little too much demand on the HU, but would the result be what I've got or just some non-functional amplifiers? What is the likelihood that there is a short within the HU itself and its causing the excessive heat...I mean seriously excessive!

I hope this doesn't come across as if I don't have a clue about what I'm doing, I'm not a professional, but I'm not a total noob either. Any consideration is hugely appreciated!

BTW, JVC customer service is grotesquely inane. 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
JVC is not a very reliable car stereo brand.  Sounds like your HU is defective.
Support the12volt.com
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

As you can imagine I am completely thrilled to donate my money to a worthless cause!

Would you recommend having it serviced or just turning it into a door-stop, practical joke gift, Hurricane shrapnel, etc.?

paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
send it to me lol.  I have a JVC AVX 1 and its been working fine all this time... I'm using all 6 Ch. outs a/v ins and outs and no problem at all.  try getting 12v and acc. from the ignition harness fused and see if that helps.  If it doesn't then get a new head unit
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

Use it for target practice and put it on Utube that would be cool

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, who knows, maybe we can work something out PNF. I'm going to try running the wires fused from the ignition harness like you suggested. If that doesn't work Utube might be in for a treat because I am immensly wizder'n hell at this thing, and when I fail a challenge posed by an inanimate object I ALWAYS win in the end...using very obscure and extravagant devices.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, this may contradict what I stated in my first post, but here goes anyways. Do I ground the "rear ground terminal" (using a female spade connector) to the car's chasis?
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

Well I've got it fixed! I've decided to post the solution just in case anyone else ever runs into this problem. After purchasing a harness from this guy who runs a store on E-bay called Car Audio Wire Harnesses, I was able to have enough correspondence with  him to fix the issue. He's been doing car audio installs for 28 years, so when he told me to take the internal amplifier out of my head unit I just did as he said. Ending the long and miserable road I'd embarked upon almost 5 months ago, this saint of car audio know-how pretty much saved my life. Once I got inside of the head unit there were no signs of anything being wrong with the internal amplifier, but when I popped it out of the heat sink the inside of the amp chip was all charred and burnt up. I took the amp chip put, isoltated all of the leads from one another and the stereo works like a dream. Thanks to Ed_nigma for sharing some knowledge from his experience.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic