icon

remote start in a carburated car?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guy's.....just started working on a 1985 oldsmobile eighty-eight and found out that it's a carburated vehicle.  My Question is...is there any way to hook up a remote start in this vehicle.  I pulled up the tech sheet from audiovox's website and it list a tachometer as white (-) at the coil.  I'm thinking that I won't find any coils since it isn't fuel injected.  Any ideas and if anybody has done a remote start on a carburated car....how did you do it!!!?  thanks!
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
johnmax 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Did quite a few of them. Helps when the vehicle will start with one pump of the gas pedal. Then what I used to do was take a trunk pop solenoid , and hook it up underhood so it would pull on the gas pedal linkage. Then use a relay and wire it up to a pulse before start from your remote starter. Then when you RS it will already have pumped the gas once, and hopefully start up. Of course hook up your tach wire at the ignition coil. Yes it will have a coil for ignition- fuel injection makes no difference.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
It must have a coil to fire the spark plugs, unless it's diesel. The tach wire your looking for will pulse to ground while the other wire is 12v with the switch on. If your having trouble finding it, start at the distributor and track the big wires.
Where I am, I've never had to pump a carb to start the motor. You might get lucky and be able to just wire it up as instructed.
joch1314 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
cool...i'll give it a shot on tuesday when he comes back to install the rest of his stuff!  Had to do four actuators and a complete system on this beast....wasn't too bad but the carburated system had me wondering!!  Thanks again!!
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Older GM's like that may not have an actual tach wire if the car isn't equipped with a tach. However there was usually a terminal on the distributor marked ignition (-) or something to that effect, which you can connect to for tach sensing.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
joch1314 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

So here's what I got.....on the distributor there is a terminal that says "TACH  BAT" on it.  It has four wires on it ...one pink wire that i can't get a reading from,  One black wire that is a ground wire...a thicker gauge pink wire that is 12 volt constant and one brown wire that switches to 12 volt with the key in the on postion but nothing in the off position.  also on the terminal is says....B+ above the pink wires...(they're right on top of each other) GRD over the black wire and C- over the brown wire!  I'm thinking that my tach will be the smaller pink but am not sure since i'm not getting any readings from it.  Any suggestions......    thanks again

CHECK THAT......i just tested the smaller pink wire in volts AC and i was getting a reading ranging from 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC with the car on and running.  I also got  nothing with the car off so I think I found my wire...gonna give it a shot....

reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
You need to try it with the motor turning over. I haven't seen a four wire coil before, but one of those wires should go from 12v to ground as you bump the motor over.
For AC testing, you should see a vast change as RPM increases.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic