icon

xm antenna in mustang

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Hello. I want to install an xm radio in my fiance's sisters '99 mustang. I want the antenna mounted on the front middle of the roof right at the windshield. The problem I am having is that I dont know how to run the antenna wire from that location to the inside of the car. When I did my installation on my cavalier, I simply ran it under the windshield stripping, over to the passenger's side A-pillar, than under the door stripping to the inside of my car. But with her mustang, there is no windshield stripping that can easiler be lifted up and the wire slid under. Also, her A-pillar is permanantly to the body of the car so I cant slide the wire under that. With my car, when the door is opened, I can pull the door trimming away from the body and slide the wire under it, but I cant do that with her car. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can run this wire, or a better location to mount the antenna?
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
the one piece construction of the a-pillar to body makes your install impossible.  Plus there's no window trim on the top edge of the window, which further complicates things.  The best place is on the trunk lid.
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you are correct with the a pillar and the fact of no trim above the door's window. I just wanted to see if it would be possible. I was also thinking about the trunk lid also. So I would simply mount the antenna on the trunk lid closest to the hinges? Then I would run the wire up inside the trunk, up along the floor trim to the front of the cab? Do you have any ideas how I would keep the wire from moving (where it goes from the outside of the trunk to the inside?
doggworld1233 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
just put it in the corner of the front window. that is how i do all of mine after having 5 of those antennas go bad after a few months outside.
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
I never tried mounting them inside the vehicle. It says you arent supposed to do that with those types of antenna's. I have never had a problem with mine going bad either.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

It depends on where you are located.  I used to install the antennas on the front dash, as close to the window as I could get it, but that's when I was installing in Florida.  I never had a problem.  However, up in the Northwest, that doesn't work at all.  As soon as the customer heads North, goodbye signal.  There are some more "interesting" ways of mounting the antenna.  One install, I placed the antenna INSIDE the rear break light of a 07' corvette.  The antenna worked perfectly. 

As far as the trunk mounting.  I put mine in the center of the trunk lid.  However, since you have no trunk lid liner.  close to the trunk hinge would have to suffice.  You can use mounting clips underneath the trunk lid to hold the wire in place.  You don't have to have a lot of wire exposed on the top of the trunk lid, but just enough to allow the antenna to sit flat.  I see people mount the antenna in the center of the top of the car like that's going to increase reception.  As long at the antenna has line-of-site to the sky... you're good.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic