icon

2 things wrong with my stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
linkinpark1443 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
1. majority of the time, when i turn my system on i can hear my sub bursting out unneccessary power and it continuously pumps out power to the point where it sounds like a foghorn. my friend said the ground was fine but I'm not experienced enough to know what to do. Is it a short with wiring from the sub to the amp or from the amp to the deck?
2. While my music is playing, after so long I can hear my speakers cut out on me and it's always in the same way. The first speaker to cut out is passenger front, then pass. rear, then the entire driver said at once. If I leave my faceplate off for like 5 minutes then I'll get sound again.
Does this sound like a short, or did some dude just wire the system in the jankiest way ever?
Any and all advice / opinions would be helpful as I wanna get this fixed asap.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

1.  Please list the make/model of your gear and how you have it wired as mentioned in the forum user rules.  Sounds like the subwoofer is either too low an impedance for the amp or the gain is set way too high.

2.  Again, makes and models please.  Are the main speakers running off the head unit amplifier or are you using an external amp for the mains?

Support the12volt.com
linkinpark1443 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
H.U - Alpine CDA7977
Amp wired to speakers - Pheonix Gold zx475
Amp wired to sub - Pheonix Gold zx400
Sub - 12' Diamond Audio (do not know the model of it, illegible on receipt)
speakers - unknown. (illegible on reciept, possible model# A466XS)
hopefully this can help out
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well, without knowing the make/model of the sub it is impossible to tell you if the impedance is too low for the amp, and same for your mains speakers.  The amp you are using for the sub needs no less than a 4-ohm load if you have it bridged.  When you say "receipt," if you know where you bought these, go back and ask them.  At the very least you need to make sure your amplifier gains are set properly so they are not being over-driven.  Please read and follow the "how to set your gains" sticky thread.
Support the12volt.com
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 14, 2008 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

linkinpark1443 wrote:
H.U -
Sub - 12' Diamond Audio (do not know the model of it, illegible on receipt)
speakers - unknown. (illegible on reciept, possible model# A466XS)
hopefully this can help out

Bet ya 10 to 1 the speakers are marked somehow, someway with impedance.

It's as simple as a part #

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic