tapping the fuse box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hungtru 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there,
   I'm looking to power a satellite radio, powered from the car inline and not via the cigarette lighter. I have an transformer that will work that is made especially for the unit, but I need to tap into the car's power. One option is to splice into the wires, but I'd prefer to tap into the fuse box. I notice that in my 2006 accord, there are a free open spots, not sure if they are powered.
   Has anyone electronics by tapping into the fuse box with a fuse tapper?
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
There are several ways to go with plug in taps. I've seen half of spade/fork terminals used, there are brass hooks that wrap around the fuses and then there are the add-a-circuits. The add-a-circuits are a nice way to go, you unplug the fuse, put the add-a-circuit in, put the stock fuse in the open spot. Then the original circuit is fused and your new circuit has it's own fuse and a little wire coming out of the block.
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
I just stripped the wire, took the fuse out, hooked the wire around the end of the spade on th fuse and popped the fuse back in, it ain't professional, but it worked, I would like to get the add-a-circut, I am gonna have to look for those, Raido Shack maybe? 
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
The ones I've used were distributed by wirthco. Radioshacks around me don't carry wirthco products, you might try Napa or your local accessory stores.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
The down side to just sticking the wire in with the fuse is you stretch the tab that contacts the fuse. Wait a year or so when you drive over rough roads and things start to flicker or drop out. Sometimes you can bend the tab back. Also depends how big of wire was used how far it stretched.
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
they sell addon auto fuse boxes, i dont think we are allowed to do links in the forums. check you pm for a site i found.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
thanx, I took out my fuse tap last night and wired it all straight to the battery (monitors, dvd, inside cold cathode lighting) with a 12ga wire and then switched them all indepentantly from the 12 ga feed. and yes I have a 10 ampo fuse about 2 inches from the battery

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic