icon

choosing a cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheDouche 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me with choosing a cap. Like what to look for in the stats and stuff. I'm gunna be running 1000 watts to a sub and I herd rule of thumb is for every 1000 watts it's 1 fared. What else should I be looking at since not all things are created equal
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
save your money and forget the cap.  Upgrade the Big3 and then add a battery or HO altenator.
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
i really dont want to upgrade the big 3 cause i dont have the crimper for a 0awg wire and i really dont feel like paying someone a butt load of money to do it for me. i figured my buddy has a cap laying around i just wanted to know about the stats this way i can check if its any good or not.
its a 2000 silverado with a optima red top already in it and i really dont want to upgrade the alternator either. so i figured that a cap would hold me over
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
No... It won't. The cap is a band-aid on a bullet wound, and will do you NO "good", and will in the long run cause more issues than it solves short-time...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
well it won't do anything
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
damn, so basically big 3 or bust? anyone know where i can buy the 0-4awg crimper?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yep... A cap doesn't make power, and it has to get the energy stored within itself from OUTSIDE... The alternator and battery. What's that make it? That's right - a "load", just like the amplifer.
It's called a "hammer", or sometimes a "vice". If you have a reasonably high wattage soldering iron, (say... 75 to 100 watts) you can even crimp it lightly to hold it, then solder it. That's actually the preferred method, anyway.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
TheDouche 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Yep... A cap doesn't make power, and it has to get the energy stored within itself from OUTSIDE... The alternator and battery. What's that make it? That's right - a "load", just like the amplifer.
It's called a "hammer", or sometimes a "vice". If you have a reasonably high wattage soldering iron, (say... 75 to 100 watts) you can even crimp it lightly to hold it, then solder it. That's actually the preferred method, anyway.
the hammer method doesnt really work all that well. i had a friend who we did the big three on and the crimp end(hammered) ended up coming off eventually. i have a butane powered soldering iron. gets pretty hot but not hot enough for the 0awg wire and crimp. is there any other way? like is there something i can buy that will make a better crimp in a vise?
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
You can't get it hot enough with a butane soldering iron, something is wrong.
Burning butane by default is hot as hell (1,970 degrees CELCIUS)(http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/flame-temperatures-gases-d_422.html)
With the hammer method, take a nail and electrical tape it to the crimp on with the wire in it, then smash it into oblivion, should give you the split indention that is there to help hold onto the wire.
Or check out the Upgrading the Big Three for tips on how to accomplish this
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
if you want a large gauge crimper, go to partsexpress.com.  They have all kinds of parts and tools to help the do-it-yourself'er.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic