icon

house amp to power four 6x9's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ike221 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Crown XLS 202D Power Amplifier for my 6x9s. What kind of pre amp do I need?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

ike221 wrote:
I have a Crown XLS 202D Power Amplifier for my 6x9s. What kind of pre amp do I need?

I thought you were set on using your car audio head unit?

That Crown is 200 wpc into 8-ohms, so I hope your speakers can handle the load (or better yet, be careful with the volume knob!)

Support the12volt.com
ike221 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I was using the car head unit. I had wired as the input to the Crown Amp and I had the 6x9s wired at 8 ohms hooked up to the output. And when you powered up the amp they sounded like crap. My friend told me that the cd player is giving out a weak signal. I remember somebody on here telling me that I would need a pre amp.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

ike221 wrote:
Yeah I was using the car head unit. I had wired as the input to the Crown Amp and I had the 6x9s wired at 8 ohms hooked up to the output. And when you powered up the amp they sounded like crap. My friend told me that the cd player is giving out a weak signal. I remember somebody on here telling me that I would need a pre amp.

My guess is it doesn't sound like crap because of the HU, it sounds like crap because you're trying to use car audio 6X9's inside.  I tried to warn you about that.

Support the12volt.com
ike221 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Not really. When the 4 6x9s are hooked up directly to the cd head unit they sound awesome. Its just when I put the amp on them they sound like crap.
DYohn 
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Uh huh.  A Crown professional amplifier - even the bottom of the line model you have - is much higher quality than any amp built into any head unit.  How do you have them hooked up?  Did you set the gain level?
Support the12volt.com
ike221 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know. Could it be my connection from the head unit to the amp. The amp had female XLR 3 pin inputs and my cd player was RCA's so I made something to link them. Maybe it could be that there is not a good connection.
I think all of my levels are set up correctly
DYohn 
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
There are instructions on page 9 of your owners manual illustrating a method for adapting an unbalanced signal (like from your HU) to the balanced inputs of the amplifier.  Also, page 16 describes a quick and dirty level matching procedure.
Support the12volt.com
ike221 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the manual. My friend has the manual at his house
DYohn 
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic