icon

new oem cd player in older car?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stuc 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hi. I have searched briefly for topics like this but wasn't sure what to look for and didn't quite find it.....
I've got 1986 Toyota Corolla with completely custom wiring that I wasn't going to put sound in at first, but have decided to.
However, since the dash is custom, I want to mold it to something creative rather than going with the typical aftermarket square stereo.
I was thinking of using the cd player from 2007 (and similar) Toyota Camrys because they're available cheap, match colors, and would be the same brand (keepin' it in the family!)
So, I'm not new to wiring, but I don't exactly have access to great Camry wiring diagrams (the best so far I've found here, but it's only wire colors) and am fairly fresh to stereos (although I have a little help).
I'm 99% sure this stereo originally has an external amplifier. Do I need this OEM amplifier or can I go with an aftermarket one? How feasible is this idea? Thanks in advance, -Stu
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well anything is possible. I'm not 100 percent but I believe that you would need the factory amp also with the new radio. Why not go a couple years earlier or go with a corolla radio. Actually now that I think about it isnt there an aftermarket company that makes a factory like radio for the camrys.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

There's a few companies who make faux factory nav units.  They have navigation and looks exactly like the factory original.  One company we deal with is Savant.  They are intended to add DVD or Nav to your vehicle without loosing the factory look.

If you take a toyota headunit out of a 2007 camry, just make sure it's not a JBL or Synthesis system.  If it's a premium sound system, with the exception of what we just listed, then you can add it to your own ride.  If it's factory amplified you can use a Metra 71-8113 reverse harness.  If it's not factory amplified then you can use Metra 71-1761 reverse harness into the 2007 headunit.

The wire colors of the aftermarket harness follows standard color codes.  If it's factory amplified system with the 8113 harness then it outputs low level outputs so you'll need an aftermarket amplifier.

stuc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks for the replies. Well, I'm not trying to do anything super expensive here, which is one of the reasons I'm thinking about this cd player.
The one I'm thinking of is a JBL head unit though... what's wrong with using them??
stuc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Nevermind! It's not a JBL, it's this one...
http://cgi./07-08-CAMRY-CD-MP3-PLAYER-RADIO-STEREO-and-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ120303621132QQihZ002QQcategoryZ39754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
According to this auction, the amp is internal... so the wiring should be pretty straightforward? Powers, grounds, and speakers?
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
if the amp is internal you can use the 71-1761 harness to plug into the head unit.  Then wire up the speakers, power, gnd, etc. according to standard color codes.
stuc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome, thanks guys. When school slows down I'll post up how it came out...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic