icon

new alternator for a 2600 watts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimmys1427 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Hifonics Bxi2608D 2600 watt amplifier.It runs 2600 watts in 1 ohm, 1700 watts in 2ohms, and 850 watts in 4 ohms. I also have two 12 inch Alpine type x subwoofers. I am looking to get this system installed but do not want to put a different alternator in my car. My factory alternator is 105 amps and my battery is 410 cold cranking amps. I am wondering if i will have any problems with the power situation.If someone can please steer me in the right direction if i were to need a new battery or alternator, a capactior and if so how many farads, and how i should hook the system up meaning in either 1 ohms or 2 ohms or even 4 ohms.
Thanks
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
2600 watts is about 200amps, 1700 watts is nearly 150amps and 850watts is close to 70amps. I would figure no more than 15amps head room in your alternator with all of the accessories on (ie, lights, AC, wipers.) I would also be concerned about your battery, I would pick something in the 600+CCA range. The battery needs to store energy for starting the vehicle, but it can also be used for sudden spikes in power consumption. Adding the 200-310CCA will buy you a little more slack.
I do think you need to upgrade the alternator and charge/ground wires for that much amplifier regardless of the configuration.
tomrspears 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

put dual alts on it.

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
first what kind of car or truck and based on looking at what you wrote you are going to kill your charging system . my first system was no where near yours and with in a year i went through a battery and a alt. so save yourself the pain of having a jumper pack as a new friend do the big 3 alt neg to chasis , alt pos to battery pos add a fuse within 18" of the battery and to be the same size as your power wire fuse and upgrade the batt neg to chasis. i would say use 0 guage wiring. and the battery dump it before it dumps you:). try to get the biggest battery you can fit iunder the hood. as for alt. i found one online and this site is metioned numerious times. they come direct fit oem so its no modifing to your engine. highoutputalternators.com  . they come with a one year warrenty and  you can get the power you need. but hey if you can fit two alt in there do it and post some pics. as for a cap dont waste your time
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have an HO alternator, sold through metra, labeled as Tsunami, but service was handled by HO when metra sent me the wrong one. I've been really happy with it, so far my winch and stereo are well handled by it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic