icon

2009 sonata fog lamps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2bit 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Like most cars, the 2009 Sonata foglamps will only work with the lowbeam headlamps on. If you switch to high beam, or go to parking lights they turn off. How do you get the foglamps to be completely independent, so I can turn them on and off with the foglamp switch on  the turn signal lever no matter if I have the headlamps on, off, high or low beam?  Any help would be great. I am no auto electric genius, so you will prolly have to go step by step here with wire color codes and everything.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
i dont have one of these vehicles in front of me, so i wont be able to tell you the wire colors(sorry). but, whats happening is the headlight switch sends power (or possibly a ground) to the the foglamp switch in the lowbeam position. it goes out of the switch to a relay to turn on the lights. the only way to do this is to take out the switch and test the wires with a digital volt meter. first you must determine if the headlight switch sends a ground or 12v. with your headlights on and fog lamps OFF find the wire that shows 12v(or ground). now switch to high beam. if the voltage (or ground) goes away this is the power going into the switch. i know this is scary but, cut the wire. take the side that goes into the switch and connect it to a constant fused 12v(or a ground depending on which one the circuit works on). insulate the other side. the switch should now work whenever you want it to by pushing the button whenever you want. if you can give me wire colors, number of wires at the switch, pics, stuff like that, i can help you a little more, but this should help you and give you the general idea.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic