icon

why is my amp shutting down?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snowsoldier 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

i have a pdx 1.1000 alpine amp hooked up to  2-12" Pioneer IMP subs.  when i turn up my stereo to a certain point the amp will shut down and i have to turn the deck off then back on to get it to work again. what is going on? i have read on other fourms about similar problems and some people talk about the voltage drop. which could explain my battery gauge bouncing back and fourth when the bass hits. what can i do to fix it? my buddy who used to install recomended adding a capacitor because my lights dim with the stereo too. is he right?

jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
Do the Big 3 and a highoutput altenaitor
My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
A capacitor will not help you at all.
snowsoldier 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
just to understand this a little better. the concept of "Big 3" is to replace the wires between the engine ground to the chassis, alternator to battery possitive, and the battery negative to chassis with bigger wire to let more current pass between each point? what is an ideal wire size?
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
I replaced mine with 4 gage. Even wire from alt. to battery. 0-4 gage should be fine.
My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
how are your subs wired, is the input level selection switch in the right position? just throwing things at you.....
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
There's a few things that could be shutting the amp off.  One is a power problem, whether low voltage or low current.  This can be solved by the correct gauge wiring for your power, big 3 upgrade, and a higher output altenator.  Another is a load issue.  If you're subs are wired for too low of an impedance, as soon as you turn it up, the amp sees too low of a load and shuts off to protect itself.  Another, but less likely, event , would be the deck amp turn-on lead shutting off because of low voltage when your system is taxed by the heavy bass output.  I've seen dozens of Clarion head-units have issues with high power systems, and they will shut the amp turn-on lead output off when the voltage drops below a certain threshold.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Assuming the amp is not defective, the most common causes for an amp to shut down (protection) are 1) too low an impedance load, 2) too high gain setting, or 3) power problems.  As has already been asked, how are your subs wired?  What is the voltage at the amp when it shuts down?  How did you set your gain?
Support the12volt.com
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
  why is my amp shutting down? -- posted image.oh dyohn did you just call it impedance load?  im sure noones gonna flame you but i could have sworn i just saw a post about that..........why is my amp shutting down? -- posted image.
snowsoldier 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

i have both of my subs wired in series at 2 ohms. i was gonna make my way to a shop tonight and pick up some bigger wire and do the big 3 on my truck this weekend. i was also going to look into buying a capacitor for my system. i dont understand why people are saying that they are useless.... if they were why would they be used for vfd's and capacitor start motors in the oilfield and gas industry?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic