what would you do to an x5?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcwave 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

What would you do to an X5 with non-premium sound.   I am looking for ideas and recomendations.   I would like to keep it as clean and as stock looking as possible (no big visible bass box).

Best regards,

Ted

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
If you want ANY bass, there will be a subwoofer enclosure. That's the nature of the beast. Now, a GOOD, low-profile woofer, needing a very small enclosure will be expensive - I'm thinking the JL low-profiles.
Are you simply wanting to upgrade your cabin speakers? Do you want to add any amplification? Do you want to swap the head unit? We need a WHOLE BUNCH more info to really help you out even remotely effectively.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks.  I know I need to provide more details, but I didn't want to box you guys in with your ideas/creativty.  So any good ideas are appreciated....

Bascially, I want better sound quality, but at the same time, I don't want to go crazy with redesigning the doors/speaker enclosures and want to avoid a visible sub box if I can.  However, I would love to have decent bass.  I want to keep the BMW headunit.  In addition, I want to have a somewhat hidden cable that I can attach my ipod to.

Thanks for your help,

Ted

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

I would trade it in on a lifted crewcab longbox F350 diesel but that is just me. If you want to keep the factory headunit, you are going to need a interface that has a AUX input on it (unless your factory head does or can be added to it). The interface is necessary to integrate the factory head to the rest of the system. After that if it is respectable tonal response you are after, look to Morel for new speakers. A subwoofer is going to be a must, the trick is to find one that will round out what you expect for bass response and not take up a huge amount of space. A shallow mount driver from Kenwood, Pioneer or JL Audio may do this and a good installer will be able to make the box to both minimize lost space and make it look like it is supposed to be there. Amplification will be necessary, a 4 channel amp and a mono amp, both which can be hidden by a good installer. The new Eclipse amps have proven to be great, same with the Pioneer Premiere amps, both are nice and small, run cool and have lots of power.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
deez1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

I wanted to do the same thing to my X5. I did a bit of research and didn't want to pay tons of money for installation, so I went with the BSW kits from Bavarian Soundwerks. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

The speaker upgrade works awesome. It's not going to win awards, but it's a 200% improvement over the suck ash stock system. I also installed the amp and sub system which are both hidden behind the panels. The bass is a 5 on a scale from 1-10, stock is a zero. So, very good improvement. I like a bit more bass, but for most this would suffice. I also added the Dice Silverline kit for my iPod and have the adapter running through my center console. I also added the bass control, a must if you listen to different types of music like I do. It comes with a pretty detail list of instructions and you tube videos that are step by step. By far the cheapest way to upgrade with the most sound. All in all, I spent around $1300.00 to get it all done. The local audio shop wanted $1800.00 to upgrade just my door speakers. LAME!

tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys.

I ordered the BSW speaker upgrade (10 speakers) and also a JL Audio 10w6 with JL 500/1 amp.   I am going to be making my own "semi-stealth box" (done this before, but not for this vehicle).     

Best regards,

TC 

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

I know it's a bit late, but JL makes a stealthbox for that vehicle.  We just got one in yesterday for an X5.  Of course the sub they use is only a W1 instead of the W6 you have.  We are putting the 250/1 on the other side of the vehicle behind the pannel.  There seemed to be a lot of room so the 500/1 might fit there too.  We were going to mount the amp on a carpeted board and attach the board to the vehicle with the amp facing into the hole.

Although too late, I always recommend people auditioning speakers before purchasing them.    For $650 you could have found a pretty killer speaker set.  I hope those BSW speakers work out for you.

tcwave 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, I know JL and BSW both make sub-boxes for this vehicle, but decided to save money on the box itself and put it toward a better sub & amp.    I've built boxes before that have sounded pretty good, so I figure that the 10w6 may need to protrude a little into the rear trunk space in order to give it the volume and space it requires.

Every reveiw, and i read tons, says the BSW speaker upgrade kit for the x5 (10 althogether) sounds great and is plug and play easy.   I am sure I could have gotten better speakers, but then I would have to rewire and potentially replace the stock HU and wasn't interested in that.  

However, I am going to dynamat the truck and I am intersted to see the difference that will make.  I have 20" rims and fat/low profile tires and can definitly hear road noise. 

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
There should be no need to rewire or replace the stock deck by doing a speaker upgrade.  Even an amplifier could be added without doing that.  And I wouldn't put too much faith in reviews on speakers.  How good speakers sound can be very subjective.  That's why it is so important to listen to them first yourself.
deez1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
The BSW 'Rainbow" speakers are a great upgrade, they are made by Diamond Audio. Could you get some nicer Focal separate's and fabricate the surround for the mount? Of course, it all depends on how much time and money you want to invest. The speakers sound ok though (especially for the price for all 10), the only thing I would say is they have very high - highs. A new head unit would probably help but then you wouldn't have the steering wheel controls or OBC.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic