icon

fading power light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nkl420 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

i have two kicker comp 12's hooked up to a 400w "extreme" amp.

this worked perfect for me untill it suddenly started sounding very quiet. i looked back and my power light was fading with every hit, and coming back to full power when the bass was quiet. i hooked it up to my friends 1200w Sony "extreme" and it did the same thing to his amp. to protect light does not come on

if i keep the volume and bass very low (volume 1-6, bass -6) it wil work just fine, if i turn it up it will work for a second or two, then have the same problem, and on rare occations, when i turn it up it will work at full power, but cut in and out for a few seconds before failing. 

i dont know what other information would be helpfull, so let me know if you need anything else, and thank you in advance for any help

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
You may need a volt meter to do a little troubleshooting.  If you do not have a volt meter at your disposal, and you have an AGU fuse anywhere in the power path to that amp, change the fuse.  It may not look blown, change it anyway.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
my firend had the sasme problem for some reason he hooked his remote wire upto a hot wire under the dash he did nt know what it was but it had a voltage and when the car was in acc it did the same thing. does it happen when the car is in acc.
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
nkl420 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
it happens all the time. well, sometimes its will accually work for awhile, but then it will just quit
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2008 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like you may have a failed woofer voice coil.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic