the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

03 z4 radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2008 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have a customer who would like us to install a radio into his 03 Z4 (factory HIFI or TOP HIFI). Normally to be safe I would do an amplifier rewire and bypass the factory amp... however he said that he would like to keep the factory amp. According to my diagrams, there is a left front and right front line level input to the amp with I believe a white amp trigger. first of all, I want to make sure it is definitely a 12v amp turn on, and finally, does anyone know if I can wire up the pre-amp outs of the radio to the inputs of the amp and still get decent volume??? I've done quite a few older BMW's and I have never had much luck with using the rca outputs... but I dont really want to use the high level outs for hte input of the amp and have issues with the volume levels. Has anyone done a radio with retaining the factory amp??? How did you do it?
Thanks
Kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Get a Metra harness ( 70-8591) and you'll be fine. 12v amp turn on wire as well
Cris
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
well that would make life a hell of a lot easier. I searched through teh metra catalogue and never found a harness.... thank you!!!!
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
are you sure thats teh correct harness??? For a normal harness it lists the 9003 which is a completely different style than the 8590/8591.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Use the 70-9003, solder male RCA ends to the speaker wires if you need an amp integration harness.

You could also use an adjustable 4ch LOC, that will give you a little better control over the level of signal going to the factory amp.  A lot of lower end head units will have a preamp voltage of 2-3v which will sound terrible going to the factory amp.

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
offroadzj 
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
i never even thought about using a LOC.... but it makes a hell of a lot more sense. I will see what kind of radio he is looking for and try to talk him into a higher end pioneer, and if that doesnt work, i'll go with teh LOC.
thanks guys!!!!
kenny
just to be certain, i connect the LOC just like i would for an aftermarket amp, but instead of plugging in the rca's, just cut to get the pos and neg for each rca wire??? I just hope he doesnt mind losing fader control b/c there is only LF and RF line inputs to the amp
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah sorry meant the 709003
Cris

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.