Hey guys im looking to find what RMS watt rating will this amp give me @ 8ohm

I have 2 rockford fosgate P1's 4ohm single voice coils 150w rms each

and this XM-2200GTX AMP here are the specs:

RMS

200w x 2 @ 4ohm

250w x 2 @ 2 ohm

500w mono @ 4 ohm

So i thought i can use 1 channel and wire the subs at 2ohm to get 125w rms

but my question is what watt rating will i get if i wire the subs at 8ohm and hook it up in mono ?

Thanks, very much appriciated

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
8 ohms bridged is the same power as 4 ohms stereo... whether you wire them for 8 ohms and bridge the amp, or run one woofer per channel at 4 ohms, you will be delivering 200 watts to each woofer. (Claimed - take those numbers with a LARGE grain of salt, the Sony amps are NOTHING if not dramatically over-rated.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dukatu 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

any sugestion on how i should hook it up ?

and i thought that if you get 200w @ 4ohm then you would get 400w @ 2ohm.

Thats why i was thinking of hooking up the subs @ 8ohm bridged mono so i would get 250w total

instead of 500w bridged mono @ 4ohm

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
dukatu wrote:
Wire the woofers in series. 8 ohms. Bridge the amp into that 8 ohm load.
dukatu wrote:
That is the SAME LOAD PER CHANNEL as stereo at 4 ohms.
dukatu wrote:
Thats why i was thinking of hooking up the subs @ 8ohm bridged mono so i would get 250w total
The amp will make 400 watts, bridged into 8 ohms, split two ways - or 200 watts per woofer.
dukatu wrote:
Except you aren't bridging into 4 ohms... You're briging into eight ohms. If you notice, 500 watts would be 250 (at 2 ohms) + 250 (at 2 ohms). That's a 4 ohm bridge. Apply the SAME math to your situation. An 8 ohm bridge would be 200 (at 4 ohms) + 200 (at 4 ohms) or 400 watts total. Done and done...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
dukatu wrote:

Don't follow the assumption that when you halve the load you'll get twice the power, or if you double the load, you'll get half the power.  This is what is getting you stuck in this scenario.  Listen to Haemphyst and realize that when you bridge 8 ohms, you get the same power as 4 ohm stereo.  200 watts per channel, or 400 watts bridged.

dukatu 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
cool, Thanks very much for your help guys, im just ganna leave the two subs wired at 2ohm and run them of one channel to get 100w per sub because 400w is two much for subs that are only 150w each.
frozenuts 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2008 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Your amp will be much happier if you keep it above a 2 ohm resistance impeadance load. Just about every Sony amp I have ever hooked up has had an overheating issue sometimes even at a 4 ohm resistance impeadance load.
all bad things come in moderation. do not shop at fry's. Get your own log in Omar.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic