icon

tach switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
liinstaller 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

I need a circuit that will output 9-24v dc when an engine is running or cranking. I was thinking about using a frequency to voltage converter from National Semiconductors such as this one.

http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM2907.pdf

But I still need help with the actual circuit design. I'm open to suggestions as far as the IC goes if someone knows a better choice. I need it to work off any source such as a coil, fuel injector, tach gauge, crank sensor, etc. I need 0v dc when there is no input (engine not running or cranking) and 9-24v dc when there is any input to the circuit (engine cranking or running).

Any help is appreciated.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

I've messed around with the 2907 and never got really good results out of it.  I was probably doing something wrong, but I could never get it to do what I thought it should do based on the provided data sheet.

You can purchase premade frequency switches that are programmable.  Anything above 10 hz and you can assume the car is on, below that have the output turn off. 

Kevin Pierson
liinstaller 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Any links for ones you've had good luck with?

Thanks for your replay.

KPierson 
Posted: September 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

Something like this maybe?  http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_108920/article.html

It uses the same family of chip you were talking about already.

I, myself, made my own RPM switch using a programmable microcontroller to measure the time between pulses - it's a lot more work but once the software is done the circuit is extremely simple.

Kevin Pierson
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2008 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
why make it so hard? use the fuel pump power wire or alternator on wire that tells the dash light the alternator is on to trigger a relay and send your 12v to whatever you want. make your own rectifer bridge out of diodes that are tied to the coil packs or injectors and then use the output to trigger a relay. there are lots of simple things you can use besides trying to get so complicated.
KPierson 
Posted: October 01, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you build a rectifer bridge for a pulsing DC signal?
Kevin Pierson
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2008 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
to make it a non pulsing dc signal. tach signal and the pulses coming off of fuel injectors are pulsed current and can be cosolidated into a non pulsing dc current through a rectifier bridge. all alternators use them internaly to convert the created ac voltage into a dc output.
KPierson 
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  

A rectifer bridge won't convert a pulsing DC signal to a non pulsing signal.  A rectifier bridge will "convert" a pulsing DC voltage in to a pulsing DC voltage with a slight voltage drop.

A bridge works with AC because AC has three different potentials - +, 0, and -.  A pulsing DC only has the + and 0 as the voltage potential never drops below 0.  Since the voltage never goes negative the bridge won't conduct anything on the second stage of the bridge.

You can typically convert a pulsing DC signal to constant voltage by using an RC circuit - they are slow to respond and wouldn't be very accurate for real time RPM information but it may work for a simple "motor running" signal.  You would definately want some sort of isolation between the raw signal and the RC circuit, like maybe a transistor or a voltage follower.

Alternators don't use just a rectifer bridge to convert AC to DC, they have to smooth out the AC ripple, typically done with a large cap or a car battery.  The key here, though, is the fact that the alternator generates AC voltage, thus allowing the bridge to rectify.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic