2006 cobalt remote start issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mike_89gts 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone,

I've done a couple basic installs over the years but when it came to my wife's 2006 Cheverolet Cobalt w/ factory security & keyless entry etc... I started reading about resistors & diodes - & was like "no chance!" so I decided to take it somewhere.

I'm pretty sure they did some things wrong and just want to get opinions prior to calling them up.

#1. I think they broke my dipstick      #2. Is it standard NOT to hook up (bypass) the hood pin switch? - I don't think so?  The kit had one but they didn't use it.      #3. Do you installers normally wire the horn & trunk as part of the install? - I know doors can be extra $$$ (which I paid) but the trunk & horn would have been straight forward connections on this car - yes/no?      #4. Radio stays on if I turn car on & then off with remote without opening door.  Will it turn off on its own eventually before the battery dies?      #5. They didn't hook up priority door access - is this standard practice?      #6.  Alarm went off when my wife opened back door after unlocking it with aftermarket remote.  Did she just need to double pulse it?

It was a ProStart 3100 (I think). - Remote start/keyless entry/trunk combo.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

albertatech 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

#1 Bad workmanship or little knowledge of vehicle, either or.

#2 Im not sure about that one but some vehicles have a factory hoodpin that can be connected to. The silverados dont that I know of but idk about the Cobalt. They are usually hooked up but since most systems also have a under dash switch to disable the remote start occasionally the are avoided. Still good idea tho imo. Only reason I would avoid it is if I couldnt find a suitable spot. Warning sticker that should be under the hood for the system should notify of the dash switch.

#3 I avoid the horn unless asked. wizes too many people off. The trunk is a feature usually. Yes its almost always easy but some people dont want it and think that by my not connecting it they will get a huge discount. So I bill for it. Im not gonna do a job where a huge chunk of my pay gets taken because someone didnt want the trunk. Sorry but we do need to make money too. Honestly I do try to include it as much as possible tho and make it cheap.

#4 Turn your vehicle off with the key and dont have any doors open and dont get out. Your radio should stay on too. Its a feature. If you dont like it, connect the door pin switch to the arm wire. That will make it think you opened a door. Radio usually shuts off after five minutes or so anyway tho. Not likely to be an issue, imo.

#5 IDK what you mean by "Priority door access" but if you mean one door unlocks then the other depending on how many times you push the unlock button then its an option. Alot of guys I do jobs for get upset when it doesnt both unlock. So I just program the remote starter to pulse unlock twice and thus unlock both doors at once. Again its an option and can likely be changed.

#6 Dont lock your doors with the key, with the button inside or with the factory fob. You set the factory alarm off, not the remote starts alarm. If I left someone to guard a bank and said only let me inside, noone else, if someone else tried call the cops. If I came back in a disguise the guard would call the cops. Same thing. Your setting the factory alarm when you lock with the key then setting it off when you unlock and open with the remote starter remote. Most security modules handle that but not all. Again it can probably be remedied but I dont do many Cobalts and I dont ever use ProStart.

#7 ProStart, at least in the past, has interesting responses to cold weather. One fun one was relays not disengaging. It makes toast out of your starter in a hurry. Make sure you have anti-grind. To do this try cranking the vehicle when its running. If it doesnt scream at you, your good. If it does, well Google ProStart and make sure they fixed their issues. Personally I dont do them and wont.

#8 Im sorry about the trouble your having and hope you get it solved with no further issues. The thing with the systems is they have a lot of features and it depends on the shop and installer which they think should be hooked up and which shouldnt. Sometimes legal issues are of concern, sometimes experience with past customers, sometimes some features are just useless, bad or pointless. Some just are not usually needed and in order to remain competitive we cant hook up unless you are willing to pay for the extra option. Freemarket economy for you.

Nice present btw.  Take care dude, hope I helped a bit. :)

albertatech 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

BTW if I could charge a thousand bucks and parts for exery job I did I would have some incredible work out there. I do a good job but every feature would be hooked up and it would be amazing. Unfortunatly, I have found anyway, most people dont care enough to spend that much money on something if they can get something similar at a lower price. So yeah, some things get missed and it sucks. Im still waiting for the car stereo/remote start/cell phone/fiberglass/new seats etc etc

We do what we do for the ultimate job. Not all of us but those of us who truly care, thats usually why we are here. My opinion maybe but redoing a car into a dream ride is something Id love to do but cant afford so Im waiting for someone who can to hire me to do it to their car.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
1. If they broke something on your car then they should either repair it or pay to repair it. Proving that they broke it is another matter.
2. They MUST hook up the hoodpin. In Ontario you must have a government license to install alarms/remote starters. The hoodpin is also used to program the unit. If they didn't install one or correctly connect to a factory one (if equipped) then they have made a very serious mistake.
3. The horn and trunk release is optional. It depends on what is agreed upon as standard options. Some times the door lock interface is optional too. In your car the horn and trunk release are only 2 wires that require hooked up. But intergrating with the factory alarm is more involved.
4. Triggering the doorpin after remote start shut down is another option some times not hooked up. The radio will power down after 10 minutes so it won't kill your battery.
5. Priority door access is rarely hooked up as a standard option. It depends on many factors both in the vehicle and if the remote starter is capable of doing this.
6. There is no way of disarming the factory alarm in these cars without the use of an extra data module. The factory alarm will only disarm if the factory keyless entry remote is used or with a special module. The standard method is to inform the customer to not use the factory remote any more and only the one with the remote starter unless you agree to pay for the data module which arms/disarms the alarm and lock/unlocks the doors. This will also come in handy if the trunk feature is used as it will also require the factory alarm to be shut off.
The shop may not have access to these modules so I would suggest you talk to the manager and discuss what can be done. You may have to pay more for parts and labor, but try and strike a deal that is fair for both you and them. The installer may not have a lot of experience with your vehicle and these items may not have occured to him. You also get what you pay for.
sparky
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

As stated above, the hood pin is a very necessary connection.  The reason it is so important is so a mechanic does not lose a hand while trying to change a belt on your vehicle.  Say he has a socket and breaker bar trying to remove a pulley nut, and some idiot sees the remote and says, I wonder what this button does.  They REALLY need to connect the hood pin.

Mike_89gts 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you so much for the lengthy replies folks!  Learned lots.

Your time is much appreciated.

Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic