for what reason are you in this field?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
albertatech 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Why do you install things?

For what reason are you in this field. Do you do it for the money? Or maybe for the love of the cars? Maybe you want to do the "Ultimate Job". Or perhaps you just like working relatively alone. Is there just nothing else you can do? Why are you here.

Everyone here has a reason.

Ill start. I do this job because I have a desire to find a challenge, to conquer that challenge and move on, taking the knowledge with me to the next one. I enjoy working with cars, but the only jobs I really enjoy are the ones that wized me off when I was doing them. Not the ones I got mad because of someone annoying me while I was working but the ones I got mad at because I didnt know how to do it. The thrill of conquering a seemingly un conquerable goal is why I do my job. Sure I could use more money. If I found a better paying job doing this I would probably take it, if I could find reasonably priced housing. Downside is there isnt much more challenge as most of the jobs I get are chevy silverados, we got a deal with a local dealership.

Your turn.

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

I'm good at it.  Plain and simple.  I love music, and taking a vehicle and making it sound incredible is a great feeling.  There's also always something new to learn.  New techniques, new vehicles, new technologies, always something new.

Alarms and Remote starts, I can do without.  I make money on them, but they interest me absolutely zero.  So I guess another question is, which aspect of the business do you prefer?  The music side or the convenience side?

For me it's also a love/hate relationship.  I love the industry and the hobby, but I hate to install systems that I know are going to suck.  But this is a business.  So when a customer absolutely has to have that 12W6 pounding with a factory system, no matter how hard I try to sway him, then you've gotta take it down.  We are an industry of moronic customers and that's the hate part.  But every once in a while I'll get the customer who strolls in and aims for the SQ system.  That's the love.

With the right system, it's the Rush that I get with stunning sound that drives me to the next day.  It's my drug.

albertatech 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with you there lol, we do have some (or alot) of customers who care little for quality as long as its loud and cheap. I agree I hate installing crap systems. Highschool age kids like buying sound equiptment but almost always dont care for the purity of a system put together with care for how it will sound. They usually want the cheapest amp with the biggest Wattage (even if it is peak) as it is fun too say you have a 2000W amp even if it is the same as my 500W. Also the more subs the better. And usually ever other speaker is a blown factory job. I hate that too.

I enjoy the remote starters though too simply for that challenge. But since stereos can be easily equally or more challenging, gotta love the stereo.

And yes that perfect system, definately worth it.

basketthis69 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Keeps me thinking. Usually a challenge, unless it's one of those days that you get nothing but radio installs for what reason are you in this field? -- posted image.. People coming to me looking for help with something that they know nothing about, or may know something about but need it installed or setup properly. I like to be one of the few. There are not many solid installers with quality work anymore. I am the one to do something to the extent to make sure they will never return because of an installation problem. I secure everything as I would in my own vehicle or as if the customer were watching me. And, more than anything, I take pride in my work and like to let the customer know that and see that in the installation when they get their vehicle. Sometimes I'll ask the customer to take a look under their dash and see if they can find the alarm that I just installed. Some of the installers that I work with even have a problem finding the brain. That's what I love the most about installing. The pride and integrity of my work.
I don't want it to sound like I'm saying that I'm the best, but it is what it is. I'm not the best, but definitely a top of the line quality installer! for what reason are you in this field? -- posted image.
Installer for life.
albertatech 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
You know what awesome? Twist and tape or poorly crimped butt connectors lol. Dosnt take much to be one of the few anymore ><. I gotta say tho, I seen a amp install once that blew me away, in a bad way. Girl I went to school with brought me her car to put a new deck in. I wound up reinstalling the whole stereo on principle because I refuse to let doodie out of my shop even if I didnt install it originally. Sure sometimes I dont agree with how something was installed but can see its quality. I have to say though I do not agree at all with running the main power wire from the battery OUT of the car, and Im not talking through the door frame out Im talking effing sunfade from hell out. The red wire was clear type of sunfade. Then it ran down the door and back in, only half assed tucked away then to the amp. I pulled the whole system out because chances were the rest was crap too. Reinstalled and all was good. Worst part of it though was the girl didnt really realize the poor workmanship to begin with. WTH! Today if people think thats good or normal, it really doesnt take much effort to be one of the few, and thats sad.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic