icon

has anyone used trupan instead of mdf?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2008 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
I was surfing the internet when I found a website that made subwoofer enclosures. I was reading it and it said that they actually use 3/4" Trupan Light instead of regular MDF. It said that it sounds the same and is much lighter then MDF. The only bad thing was that it costs more. I want to know if this is true and if it is possibly a better option to MDF.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2008 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
i have used it many times. it is much more pricey and so i used it on my own enclosures rather than for customers as our shop would only let me order a sheet or two. sounds exactly the same as far as sonically for subs and weighs way less! its made out of sawdust just like mdf but has more of a porous nature inside so more lightweight. dont worry that its not as strong either because it is. the sawdust used is made from lighter wood like pine and has less formaldehyde and the microscopic bits of metal that are in regular mdf (from the saw blades that make the sawdust that mdf is made from) are not present. it is also mush lighter in color.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:
i have used it many times. it is much more pricey and so i used it on my own enclosures rather than for customers as our shop would only let me order a sheet or two. sounds exactly the same as far as sonically for subs and weighs way less! its made out of sawdust just like mdf but has more of a porous nature inside so more lightweight. dont worry that its not as strong either because it is. the sawdust used is made from lighter wood like pine and has less formaldehyde and the microscopic bits of metal that are in regular mdf (from the saw blades that make the sawdust that mdf is made from) are not present. it is also mush lighter in color.
That is pretty much everything I have heard about this material so far. I am wondering why it is more common. I know it costs more but the weight reduction is really the thing I am looking for. If this is really this good then I think I may be using it sometime soon. I make a lot of larger enclosures so weight is definetly a big factor.
I am more worried that it will not sound as good as regular MDF. I thought I read somewhere that it has a hollow sound but I am not sure.
One other benefit I have heard is that it is much better to cut and put together.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
From what I am reading, it is only (.)2 pounds per square foot lighter than 3/4 inch MDF.  That works out to 6.4 pounds per sheet.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
From what I am reading, it is only (.)2 pounds per square foot lighter than 3/4 inch MDF.  That works out to 6.4 pounds per sheet.
I think it is not as big of a difference as I once thought. Most of the things I read say that it is about 20% lighter (same as you said) then MDF. It is not that much lighter then what I read at first but I guess it is a little bit lighter. Not really worth the extra money if that is the case.
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2008 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Time Warp---

t's not just that its lighter, but that its also a safer product, using less harmful materials.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic